WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Glad to be "green"

RichRich administrator Posts: 582 Site Admin
edited February 2014 in Environmental
Responding to the groundswell of "green practices" in business, we`ve created a brand new forum category dedicated to (gre)entrepreneurs. I know, that`s a mouthful. It`s aptly labeled, "All Things Green," and we hope it becomes a vibrant part of our community forum offerings - I can`t imagine anything more exciting than mixing social, conservational, and/or environmental passion into a business mission to bring out the best in an entrepreneur. I look forward to sharing and learning with you in this new category!Oh! And one really exciting thing you can look forward to is an upcoming ranking we`re going to do of the "Top Ten Greenest" home-based businesses in America. We`ll look forward to highlighting them here and mulling over their "green-ness"!Rich

Comments

• theswaynestertheswaynester subscriber Posts: 15 Bronze Level Member
  • RichRich administrator Posts: 582 Site Admin
    sway... isn`t this more like, "it`s not easy being green"?!one other thing - do you think his collar/necklace thing is made of recycled plastic?
    Not sure.But I bet it tastes like chicken.
    swaynester, stop avoiding the topic at hand. are you a greenster?
    I`m a Mean Joe Greenster.Seriously, common sense green ideas are great. Little afraid of anything in excess, though.I do have a greentrepreur idea.
  • GrillCharmerGrillCharmer subscriber Posts: 7
    Love the term Greentrepeneur!!!  I did a quick searck at the USPTO and it`s not federally protected...   Trademark it QUICK!
    (sorry.... I`m a entrepeneur... I can`t help myself)
  • swesleyswesley subscriber Posts: 1
    My wife and I started an all-natural (green) cleaning business. Although I admit we`re kinda cheaters...We aren`t 100% green. As of now we`re mainly targeting commercial customers and they don`t seem to really go for the green cleaning products as much as say upper middle-to-upper income households would. So we`re trying to stay as green as possible, unless they request a commercial toxin based product, and/or we just simply cannot find a natural product to do the particular job.
    swesley,i know for some, the green "angle" is working well. i recently recorded a podcast with gary bauer of bauer limousine (if you click the link, scroll 1/3 of the way down the page to find it) - he won a Google contract to shuttle all their people in and out of San Francisco to the corporate campus down the peninsula specifically because he had a lower pollution vehicle solution.green can be a great marketing angle and will be more and more so with big companies. just look at how DELL is now pushing hard to brand itself as the leader in green practices in its sector... the more green "content" or "practices" the better - that`s where they`re all headed. it`s kind of like the "equal opportunity" effect of the 2000s.so... don`t give up stumping for "green"...
    Rich2007-6-16 17:51:51
  • jp2007jp2007 subscriber Posts: 2
    Thanks for bringing this issue up as an ongoing topic.  It`s important to me. 
    Standing lean and green.
    JoAnne

• sankogrsankogr subscriber Posts: 1
    I am formulating a line of "Green" hair car products for a private medical practice, which I hope to take national, but the sheer number of "Green" hair care products scares me.  I think I may have missed the boat as I cannot find a angle to differentiate me from the other guys.

My advice is to act quickly as "Green" is becoming very popular.

"green" is not always about an advantage for marketing, though, sankogr. it`s also just about doing the right thing and feeling really excited about what you`re doing...
    To your point Richmeister--Here`s an interesting article about green marketing.Basically, what I got out of it is that green is good, but, you have to couple it with other advantages--like value.The rules of marketing and sales don`t go into the trash... I mean... the recycle bin, just because your product is "green."theswaynester2007-6-19 16:29:45
  • bertbert subscriber Posts: 12
    Rich, you are right!  The rewards from going green is much greater than any  marketing or business advantages.  Going green will be force on all of us.  You can go screaming in the future when you have no choice or feel good that you did now.  We all know our current government will never do anything about it that is real, they are too busy with more important things that side track us from the real issues.
    Oops...Now look what you did, you got me started...bert2007-6-19 16:34:53
    for those of you posting here: we`re looking for great tips for people starting up. can you send me a private message with your specific (fairly short and pithy) tips so we can include them (with credit going to you) in our online content?thanks in advance.rich
  • bertbert subscriber Posts: 12

I agree technology is a key.  Subjects like science, math and other school subjects being taught in our schools are also important.  We need smart people to do green right.  I also agree you that we need to be after the local government constantly.  I am sure they consider me a radical just for that reason.  Unfortunately we put the wrong people in office here in Florida, so no matter what was said to them, they did what big money told them to do.  The last election made some changes and I am sure the next one will do more.
    I think a better way to change the government is to study carefully who we vote for at election time.  Voting can let your green feelings come to life.  And everyone needs to vote!  If my sources are correct, only 45% of the people that could have voted, voted in the last presidential election.  This is very sad.  When we vote we need to look at each candidate like we were hiring them for a job.  I like Lee Iacocca`s suggestion that the next president should tell us who they are going to use for their cabinet before we vote.  But I am sure that will not happen.  Regardless, we need to take this job seriously if we are to really make a change.
    bert2007-6-20 22:38:54