WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Affiliate Marketing - First steps [?]

MovingUpMovingUp subscriber Posts: 9
edited September 2007 in Marketing
I will be launching a website very soon. I would like to join an affiliate marketing program - what are the first steps that I need to take ? Where do I go first? Do I need proven traffic on my site before I can approach an affiliate program?  How much does it cost to join?

Comments

• DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141

I will be launching a website very soon. I would like to join an affiliate marketing program - what are the first steps that I need to take ? Where do I go first? Do I need proven traffic on my site before I can approach an affiliate program?  How much does it cost to join?
    Most affiliate programs are free to join. But if you don`t have any marketing experience, and it doesn`t sound like you do, you first need to educate yourself on the ins and outs of marketing. You can have all the traffic in the world, but if you don`t know what to do with it, you`ll just be spinning your wheels.
    I highly recommend you pick up a copy of  Internet Success Blueprint by Neil Shearing. Also, read as many marketing articles as you can. You should do those things before you join any affiliate program, or worry about generating traffic to your website. Educate yourself first, and the money will follow.
    By the way, Neil Shearing has an excellent affiliate program. He deposits your affiliate commission directly into your PayPal account.
    Dale KingDKing2007-9-23 20:7:36
  • JoeJustinJoeJustin subscriber Posts: 1
    Dale is correct when he says you need to know a little about marketing.  Most affiliate programs are free to join.  Look up Jim Daniels on google.  He has help a lot of people as well. He was one of the pioneers of online marketing.  He has a lot of free stuff on most of his sites.One of the most important things you will need when doing affiliate marketing is an email list.  If you don`t have one you want to start to build one as soon as possible.Read everything you can about building you email list.  I hope this helps!
  • MovingUpMovingUp subscriber Posts: 9
    Thanks guys!
    I have basic a knowledge in Internet marketing and I have an action plan of how to market my site. The Question here is what is the connection between an email list and affiliate marketing? Is it not based on just getting lots of traffic to the website ?
  • DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141

Thanks guys!
    I have basic a knowledge in Internet marketing and I have an action plan of how to market my site. The Question here is what is the connection between an email list and affiliate marketing? Is it not based on just getting lots of traffic to the website ?

You`re quite welcome. Happy to help.
    Moving up, you may have basic knowledge of Internet marketing, but judging from the questions you`re asking, you clearly have a lot more to learn. And the fact that you`ve joined this forum tells me that you are willing to learn. So, that`s a good thing. Despite the hype, there`s a lot more to Internet marketing than just generating traffic to your website, and hauling your money to the bank. First of all, it needs to be targeted traffic or it won`t convert. Second, your website copy has to be compelling enough to convince visitors to buy what you`re selling.
    Third, no matter how targeted your traffic is, anywhere from 95 to 99% of your visitors are going to leave your website without purchasing anything. That`s a cold, hard fact. That`s why Joe is correct when he said having an e-mail list is important - not just for affiliate marketing, but for Internet marketing in general.  Having an e-mail list will enable you to follow-up with prospects, and eventually convert them into customers. An e-mail list will also enable you to follow-up with customers, so that you can sell them additional products and/or services.
    That`s why I said, you need to educate yourself first about Internet marketing. There`s a lot to learn.
    Dale King DKing2007-9-24 9:30:2