WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

LLC with a DBA... when to use what?

AlaPreneurAlaPreneur subscriber Posts: 3
I have an LLC right now, but I will soon have a dba...I was wondering when I should use the DBA name... on what forms.For example, should I use the DBA name or the LLC name on the checking account?

Comments

• patentandtrademarkpatentandtrademark subscriber Posts: 103
  • PiperTaxPiperTax subscriber Posts: 5
    I`m confused as to why one would get a DBA after forming an LLC.I realize this post is a few months old, but for other forum members:While an LLC is a disregarded entity for tax purposes, it`s generally good to keep your LLC accounts separate from your personal accounts for legal reasons.  The more you intermingle funds between the two, the less liability protection the LLC structure is going to afford you.
  • ClerksClerks subscriber Posts: 0
    There are many reasons to get a DBA for an LLC.  We currently have 4 DBA`s operating under one parent LLC.  This is 4 different companies with their own expenses and revenue streams but all have the same ownership structure of the LLC.
    As far as when to use what name.  Why not put both names on the checking account.  That way no matter what name a customer makes the check out to you can still deposit it.
  • BreeAnaBreeAna subscriber Posts: 3
    Good point Clerks!
    Our company is a C Corp with several underlying dba`s.  Each of them are different industry types.  The dba helps identify the different business, with separate accounting books, and separate bank accounts. 

• tmcgtmcg subscriber Posts: 0
    for legal reasons, it makes sense to use a dba as well.  if you own a business, say XYZ Inc. and you operate an internet business, say abcdefg.com, since you`re "doing business" under another name, you should have a dba filed in the county where your business is based.  if you registered your business in another state like Delaware or Nevada and your business is located in Ohio, that gets a little crazy (see attorney), but i would GUESS, that where ever it is you do business out of, you`d register the dba in the local county where you`re based from. 
    does that make sense?