WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Can a nice and uniquely designed business card make a sale?

ProdigyProdigy subscriber Posts: 19
edited October 2008 in Sales
How important is the design element of a business card? Should you invest a little more money in a well designed and sleek futuristic looking business card that a potential client would probably WANT to keep in their wallets? By futuristic I mean instead of the normal paper business cards maybe a plastic transparent one. You know something that looks appealing and kinda grabs attention.
Sure it will cost more but is it worth it?

Comments

• Options
    NuevolutionNuevolution subscriber Posts: 30 Bronze Level Member
    I don`t think you have to spend big bucks on a business card just to show your customers that you`re futuristic or up to date. A business card`s main purpose is to introduce yourself and your business, it is not a sales tool, just because you show me a see through plastic BC doesn`t mean I`m going to do business with you. T
    It all comes down to your sales pitch and price..
    Now with that said; would any of you consider a CD business card? What if you could put your company`s presentation, a static web site, and products into a small CD that looks like a business card, would that help you make a sale?
  • Options
    besthealthbesthealth subscriber Posts: 4
    I think that your business card should stand. However, you have to realize that it can be seen as unique and that`s as far as it can go. When you hand out your card, make sure that you are just as interesting as your card. Cards are sometimes handed out just to be handed out - be specific -best to target the right customer. You want that potential customer to use your service not just be impressed with your card - so hand them with the intent of doing business.
  • Options
    I think when it comes to a business card, it shouldn`t matter whether you spend 100.00 dollars or 300.00 to get it printed. I think it`s more of a personal issue, the customer doesn`t really care whether you spent 100 or 300.00, it is a self-gratification issue rather than a sales tool.
    You should be able to sell your sevices, even if you just hand the customer a piece of paper with your name and number, sure it doesn`t look professional but it can happen [run out of business cards] and the opportunity is there.
  • Options
    besthealthbesthealth subscriber Posts: 4
    I agree with you Nuevolution, there are times when I have had to write my number down -- the opportunity comes through your ability to engage someone to develop an interest in your service. When that occurs, exchange the information and follow through.............. Don`t be consumed with the cards although if you have a unique idea for the design then why not - go for it.......
  • Options
    ProdigyProdigy subscriber Posts: 19
    Wow thanks! I think I will invest a little more $$$ on a sleekly designed card though. It cant hurt plus if anything it would give me a better image. I think the design says more about a business than what people think. If your willing on putting the time into speakin with a targeted potential client, why cut yourself short by handing out an ordinary business card...
  • Options
    One thing is design, another thing is quality.
    You can have the best design in the world but if the printing quality is bad there goes your business. I would focus more on the quality of the print than on the price or the design.
    Honestly, the only one that is going to know that you paid $300.00 for 500 business cards is you. Not the customer. You can have a cheap Vista Print Card and still make a sale..
  • Options
    JenBJenB subscriber Posts: 2
    I personally would choose a "cheap" vista print.... and I did.

I designed my own business card and used their promotions to get 750 cards - 500 glossy and 250 matte - and spent under $20 for the total amount including shipping. I am VERY happy with the results and I think they are worthy to pass out to anyone I would want as a customer or a network connection.
    Vistaprint.com is constantly sending me promotions for more free premium cards. I wouldn`t buy them anywhere else.

Save your big bucks for other marketing tools.

Jen
    JenB4/3/2008 10:12 PM
  • Options
    SalesCoachSalesCoach subscriber Posts: 0
    No.  A business card, nor fancy information/samples will make a sale.  That said, you want something that does not look cheap.  You want something professional.  Is it worth going above and beyond and spending a lot of time on this? I`d say no...It is easy to get caught up with these types of things...but what you bring to the table when you interact with your prospects will be 100,000x`s(at least) more important than a biz card. 

As another note, you giving away cards will not help your business.  Most people will not call YOU, you will need to call THEM.  So get their cards, so you can follow up...your card`s value is secondary to your prospect`s card.
  • Options
    RemipubRemipub subscriber Posts: 3
    Very well said Jeremy.  Don`t sacrifice function over form.  At the same time, you do want to present the right image.  The old saying "first impressions count" can be easily applied to your business card as well as you, the professional.  A quality, well designed card tells the customer that you take pride in what you do.  It is a representation of your business.  While the card doesn`t make the sale, it is an important tool in the marketing process so don`t underestimate its value.  I`ve considered adding plastic cards to our line up, but I`m on the fence.  Yes it`s different, but I haven`t decided if they represent a good value in most circumstances.

You don`t have to spend a lot of money for a very high quality business card to present a professional image.  On the other hand (and I may be biased), spending too little can end up costing you in lost business over the long run .