WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Company Procedures Development Methods?

TechShopJimTechShopJim subscriber Posts: 1
I`ve started a business and it is taking off faster than I expected.  I want to document all the company procedures before it grows more so I can hire staff to carry out daily operations.Is there software, a web-based system, or other method that you all use to create, maintain and publish company procedures documents?Thanks!

Comments

• keyconkeycon subscriber Posts: 34
    TechShopJim,
    A man after my heart - SOPs - why successful companies keep trudging along. Process-dependent over people-dependent.
    I use to simply use Word to write SOPs for clients but now use Quark, a publishing program that allows one to setup format and insert pages, etc. - but not something I would recommend for a novice. I`m sure there are lots of SOPs programs out there but I can not vouch for any - sorry.
    But good for you for getting started on this at an early stage of your business. Years down the road, you`ll be really glad you did. Just keep doing it - don`t stop the practice.
    Good luck.
    R@
  • TechShopJimTechShopJim subscriber Posts: 1
     Hi Jeff...That would be "Standard Operating Procedure".I agree with CraigL that this set of documents is highly critical for my new business, but I need to be able to control them.  Imagine trying to explain everything to a stranger!  Maybe that would work, but it would be expensive and frustrating.I am of the Michael Gerber "E-Myth" school in which you always develop a set of SOPs for your business as if you are going to franchise your business, even if you never actually do.I am building this business to be a stand-alone business...not a job for me.More suggestions please!   
    Thanks, CraigL...I`ll check this out right away!
     I just checked out WhizFolders a little bit, but I`m not sure it does what I want.  I guess it would work, but it seems cumbersome.There must be some solution out there...I can`t be the only one in the world that needs this functionality!I`m fearful that I will end up having to write my own SOP management software...I have the ability, but I don`t have the time! 
  • iouone2iouone2 subscriber Posts: 14
    CraigL... WhizFolders sounds like a great application. I quickly clicked your link and started reading the page... Maybe you can recommend another thing to the company? Create a Mac version. I was sad to see there is no download option for me.
  • iouone2iouone2 subscriber Posts: 14
    Cool. Thanks Degrees. I will definately look into it! I really didn`t expect a response/answer to my post.