WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Selling a non-patentable item??

jessieb578jessieb578 subscriber Posts: 6
edited July 2009 in Grab Bag
So it`s my understanding that some things cannot be patentable which are basic in nature, like a standard broom, a jump rope, etc.

The item I`d like to sell is just like this, it is a silicone bracelet (think LivStrong) that I will be buying from a manufacturer in China.  Is there anything I need to know about purchasing something and selling/marketing it in my name under my business?  This bracelet will have my logo on it to distinguish that it is mine. 

Just wondering how this would work.

Thanks,
Jessica

Comments

• jessieb578jessieb578 subscriber Posts: 6
    I haven`t started this business as of yet, I`m trying to get all of my information together to know where to start.  I have samples currently being shipped to me, however I`m thinking I should start trademarking. I just didn`t know where to start first - do I see if the product is what I want it to be before I trademark a name?  Or finalize my name, trademark it and then move from there. 

It`s all a bit overwhelming

That`s what I thought.  I`m just in the starting stages and currently waiting on a samples.  The bracelet has a dual purpose so I`ll be selling it as is.  

Thanks so much!
    Well the bracelet that I`m purchasing actually changes from white to 3 darker shades depending on the UV Index. It helps one determine the level of sunscreen they should be wearing on any given day. My daughter has lupus and I thought this would be a great product for people with lupus, skin cancer and those who are just generally health conscious about the sun.  I plan on marketing to different areas such as dermatologist offices all the way to anywhere that sells sunscreen like drug stores, sport oriented stores, etc.   

I`m not quite sure how I could change the bracelet really.  I`m open for suggestions!