WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Building a website

Cre8iveOneCre8iveOne subscriber Posts: 11
I`m trying to determine whether I should hire someone to build my website or just use the site builder tools offered by sites like Go Daddy and Yahoo.  I`ve been working on a web page between my studies, personal life, and preparation for relocation.  However, I`m wondering if the special touches a designer can addwould be better. What do you guys suggest?Many thanks!

Comments

• Options
    WhipsmartDesignsWhipsmartDesigns subscriber Posts: 0
    "I`m trying to determine whether I should hire someone to build my
    website or just use the site builder tools offered by sites like Go
    Daddy and Yahoo."This is a question I have been asked many times.The mechanics and techniques used by graphic designers can be learned by anyone.  The tools and programs used are readily available, some quite expensive and some totally free.Here`s the real question, in my opinion:What do you want to spend your time on?  Do you want to learn the skills (if necessary) to do your own graphic design, or is your time better spent on improving your product and/or increasing your sales?A decent graphic designer can take your ideas for a website or marketing materials and come back with something unique that fills your need, usually much quicker and with more pizzazz than you could come up with.  After all, this is what a graphic designer does for a living.I`m not saying that the average person can`t make a visually stunning graphic/website/advertisement.  Far from it.  But you should play towards your strengths.  You know your product better than anyone else.  You know exactly what to say about it, which side looks better on film, and at least some details about your average customer.  An experienced graphic designer will know the best arrangement of your information to produce the results you want.Hope that helps!Brian ShieldsWhipsmart Designs
  • Options
    DavidDavid subscriber Posts: 3
    I`m trying to determine whether I should hire someone to build my website or just use the site builder tools offered by sites like Go Daddy and Yahoo.  I`ve been working on a web page between my studies, personal life, and preparation for relocation.  However, I`m wondering if the special touches a designer can addwould be better. What do you guys suggest?Many thanks!
    Hiring a designer, or much more importantly, a technical person to upgrade and customize your site certainly carries advantages but hides problems of its own.   Here are some simple rules of thumb:1) Always ask for a portfolio of sites they`ve made.  Contact their previous clients for a detailed reference.  The designer you`re talking to may have only played a minor part in a site in their portfolio and you`d never know.  If they don`t provide a portfolio or references, be wary.2) To customize and design a small site should cost no more than $1000.  The only justification for a higher price is either ongoing support or a high degree of expertise that they are willing to lend you on a continual basis.  3) Make sure you know exactly what your designer is doing and keep in close contact.   Knowing the technical details means you won`t have to pay another $500 to access a website file on your own website.  It`s important to work with your designer although you don`t want to crowd them.  4) Know the technical expertise of who you`re hiring.  A designer can just be someone who creates graphics while a more technical webmaster will help upgrade your site with features that drive real revenue.  There`s no shame in having a template if your site runs fine and is easy to use.  It`s always better to hire someone with technical expertise who can help install add-ons to your site as well as troubleshoot problems with your host.5) If you`re willing to manage your webspace yourself, I recommend shopping around for a cheaper host than GoDaddy or Yahoo.  Doing so however, will mean less support from your host (although I`m not sure how good GoDaddy or Yahoo`s support is) and more autonomy on your part.  Learning basic webspace administration isn`t too hard but it leaves little margin for error.
  • Options
    bfleming98bfleming98 subscriber Posts: 0
    I would start doing one yourself, THEN hire a designer if you want.  This way they`ll have something to go off of and you`ll save a LOT of money that way.

• Options
    Cre8iveOneCre8iveOne subscriber Posts: 11
    Thanks everyone!  Your suggestions give me lots to think about.  For now, I may continue to tweek what I`ve started while working on the relocation.  Once I`m all settled in to the new state, I will reassess my options/needs.Thanks, again. 
  • Options
    JakeJake subscriber Posts: 2
    I wanted to jump in here for a Second.  There are definate differences
    between a web developer and web design.  In most cases, people who do
    intense design activities lack "programming" skills.  Often, the
    best web design teams are composed of three functions. 

First, a graphics person who makes pretty designs. 
    Second, a programmer who wraps functionality around the graphics.
    Finally, a Web Host or technical person who positions the site on the server
    Together these three functions make your website.  Sometimes, people
    pose as all three and can get by.  Rarely, they are good at all
    functions because they take different types of people.

With all that said,  there is an option you can take to reduce your
    cost and get a nice website.  (I do not typically like the sitebuilder
    tools)

There is a site called Template Monster.  
    They have sites that have been developed by graphics people. 
    Typically, they look amazing and for <100.00 are priced well. 
    However, when you get them you have to typically tweak them to fit your
    needs. 

A disadvantage to using the templates are they are generally available
    so a competing company may use the same template.  If you business is
    local, regional, or not a strictly online based business you can
    probally get by with the template.  Also, you can get a template for a
    lawn care business and tweak it for your real estate company which
    reduce the changes you will bump into your template on another site in
    the same field.

I would recommend looking at the templates.  Finding someone to tweak
    and integrate the template, and finding a good webhost that is customer
    focused to help you get the site going (technical).

Side Note:  Look for a webhost that will spend time up front getting
    you setup and making sure the technology is making you successful.

I hope this helps some and if you need anything let me know.
  • Options
    imnotbobimnotbob subscriber Posts: 0
    Best web design software for newbies I have come across is www.coffeecup.com</A>  they offer free 30 day deal. My two cents
  • Options
    brains4allbrains4all subscriber Posts: 0
    The trick is keeping it simple. There are so many possibilities and tech savvy designers or developers will make you go crazy over features you don`t want or need, but which are nice to have.A good consultant will help you figure out what you really need. If you`re on a budget, a good consultant will help you get up what you need; a simple one page site to help you sell, so that you can make some money and come back later for three additional pages.
  • Options
    digitalvision313digitalvision313 subscriber Posts: 3
    I personally am not a template fan - but I`m biased, I am a deseloper (Designer/Developer).

Whatever you do, the focus is to provide value to your visitors that co-ordinates with what you`re trying to sell/offer.