WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Hiring first employee?

JBSurfsJBSurfs subscriber Posts: 10 Member
I`m looking at a business to purchase and will probably need to hire one or two people to help with the business.  I`m kind of lost so far with the hiring part of the business.  I`m sure I will get the information from the seller, but am trying to cover all my bases before and this is eating at me wanting answers. 

I`m not worried about finding an employee or filling out paperwork, I guess my question revolved around taxes and payroll.  For one employee, I don`t think it`s worth using a payroll company, but how do I take out taxes and show the breakdown on check stubs?  Then when and how do I pay those taxes?  Are these part of the quarterly taxes I will be paying to the IRS?  I`m a little lost and afraid I`ll hire someone and mess up the taxing/paying part.

Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    nevadasculnevadascul subscriber Posts: 3 Member
    I don`t know about your state, but my state requires all business to carry workman`s comp insurance.  The insurance rates are based the employees job description.  For one employee where I use to work, the cost was $1,500.00 per month.  Rates very from company to company, so do some research. 
    Also, plan on spending about $8.00 to $11.00 per hour for every hour an employee works.  This is to cover benefits, insurances and taxes for that employee.  These figures were provided by bean counters at four companies I use to work for.  And, these figures seem to be fairly universal.
    Hope this helps.
  • Options
    JBSurfsJBSurfs subscriber Posts: 10 Member
    Thanks for the help.  It looks like I may have a few more months now until the purchase can go through.  I`m in NC.  In our state, once you hire 3 people, you must have worker`s comp.