WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Help! I have weird resources...

redfishredfish subscriber Posts: 10
edited April 2009 in Marketing
Hi,
I helped a guy out on another forum - and he wanted to thank me by sending me 1000 fortune cookies!
I own a web design company... What should I put in them?  I would probably just mail them to potential clients with a targetted brochure (which would be designed around the cookies).  The idea being more of a buzz generator then straight advertising.
I`m new in this area - so just getting my name out will help.  Then when I do sales pitches/calls to actually try to get their business they will have heard of me.
But what should I put in the cookie?

Comments

• MyMarketEASEMyMarketEASE subscriber Posts: 1
    What a cute (and inventive) barter!

A great idea would be to include a "winning" ticket inside one of the cookies, and the only way for people to find out if they`ve won is to come to your website.  Once they get to your site, it would be a nice idea to have information there they can download or something "sticky" to keep them on your site for a while.

Good luck!
  • MattThomasMattThomas subscriber Posts: 2
    Its an interesting idea, but I`d be pretty hesitant to eat something I received in the mail from someone I don`t know. Even if it has brochures and a possible "golden ticket inside", the idea of receiving food in the mail might creep some people out.
    Couldn`t you send the cookies to existing clients for a % off of your services? I don`t know how many clients you have, so perhaps you can also send some to warmer leads who may already know you?
    Good point, Matt.  But I`m guessing that anyone who receives these cookies, warm leads or not, will probably be hesitant to eat them.  They`ll probably go directly to the offer inside -- especially if it`s supported by some sort of mailer that describes the campaign.

• MattThomasMattThomas subscriber Posts: 2
    That was another thought I was having. The cookie might not be so much as a FOOD item, but an eye catcher.
    So I guess I`m a bit torn on my suggestion of its use MattThomas4/7/2009 12:04 PM
  • redfishredfish subscriber Posts: 10
    You`d probably be surprised by how many people would eat the cookie here in this city .  It`s a smaller Canadian city, so there`s a lot of trust.  I`m new to business here, so I`ll probably mail everyone I know a cookie to let them know I`m in business... But also, my parents have been in business for 40 years here (so my name is recognized - I have a unique last name that isn`t easily forgotten).
    But I understand that many people may not eat the cookie (which really isn`t a concern to me).  Mostly just want to use it as an eye catcher (like Matt said).  I`m just not sure the best way to do it.  I wouldn`t have gone out and purchased 1000 fortune cookies -- it`s a gift...
    Jeff
    Good point, Byrne. 
    Redfish, I`m assuming you didn`t know the guy who`s sending the cookies very well, correct?
  • redfishredfish subscriber Posts: 10
    I have a business relationship with him.  He`s a first time client - who has been making fortune cookies for years - shipping them for 25 years.  If I can`t trust him, then who can I trust?
    I`m located in Canada - where court cases are very rare unless it`s very serious (people don`t sue people here - they have them criminally charged).  Even if I was taken to court, something like that would be dismissed by a judge before it came to trial.  I also wouldn`t be on the hook.
    However, word of mouth is important - that`s something to consider...