WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

What is your experience with print advertising?

jmcauljmcaul subscriber Posts: 1
edited September 2012 in Marketing
I am a sales representative for a company that has contracts with nationally known retail grocery stores to provide the advertising for small, local businesses on the back of their cash register reciepts.
I`m interested in business owners experience with this and other forms of print advertising, what has worked for your and why, etc. What are the biggest considerations in making ad purchases, ie. actual cash outlay or potential ROI, etc. (This question is directed to businesses/professionals who market to consumers in their local area.)
Thank youjmcaul2006-10-25 12:31:51

Comments

• LogoMotivesLogoMotives subscriber Posts: 15
    For my own business, providing graphic design services, print advertising of all types has been the very least effective method of marketing/promoting my efforts.Most of my clients, who are targeting a high-end market, would not consider advertising on grocery cash register reciepts.  Very few are "special" or "discount" oriented when it comes to the services/products they offer.  While nearly all of my clients do some newspaper advertising, most find "image" magazines adn well-placed local television the most effective at driving customers their way.  Having had a number of restaurant clients in the past, I do think the cash register receipt advertising might be very effective for them if a local area was targeted.  To be honest, I seldom look at the coupons on the back of receipts and usually just shred the things when I get home with my groceries.- J.
  • jmcauljmcaul subscriber Posts: 1
    Sorry, I should have been more specific! I am looking for the experience of people who market to a consumer base. That`s the type of experience that can help me understand my customers better. BTW, check out your register receipts once in a while, you can find some Great Deals! (but of course, I am a bit biased!) Thank you for sharing your experience.
  • DeafCeoDeafCeo subscriber Posts: 3
    I kind of agree with Jeff Fisher. Magazine and commerical on your local cable provider are the best way.
    There this book that is out of print... I need to get the name of the book for yall because direct marketing isn`t dead. I will post the title as soon as I get home from work.

In Atlanta, where I currently call home. There are several niche magazine that focus on the city. Atlanta and Jezebel. The ads in these magazines are eye catching but most of all they create a buzz about the service/product.
    Miami has one as well, Ocean Drive. Which is a nifty name for a magazine and I am sure there are other regional magazine as well.
    Just make sure your server on your host can handle the traffic after the ad launch date. I mean when the magazines goes to press and hit the streets.
    I understand budget is an issue but having an in-house ad agency helps. Be creative and it will be raining dollars bills into your business checking account.

• JamesCloudyJamesCloudy subscriber Posts: 0
    Earlier I was not aware from the fact of the print advertisment but with the help of this post I got the pleasure of reading this information