WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

What photography have you used?

CalgaryPixCalgaryPix subscriber Posts: 2
edited August 2006 in Marketing
Just a quick bit of market research after catching up on podcasts (specifically the "screaming needs" one) and hope some other members of the community can help out.If you have bought a photograph for helping market your business, could you let me know what you got (headshot/product/etc) and whether you hired a photographer or bought a stock image? Do you regularly buy photography or is this a one off photo? If you don`t mind, I would like to know how much you paid - but understand if you don`t want to mention that.I have a pretty good idea of what graphic designers use - but you`re welcome to leave a comment as well if you`re a creative type.Thank you all in advance,Neil

Comments

• Options
    drdesignsdrdesigns subscriber Posts: 1
    Hi Neil,

The photo used to promote myself I shot using a tripod and remote
    control. I`m sure it`s not the best shot in the world, but it was cheap.

As a designer needing images, I`ve purchased from Getty images ($$$)
    and most recently purchased from istockphoto ($), which Getty purchased
    back in February. And, depending on the project I take many of my own
    shots.
  • Options
    LogoMotivesLogoMotives subscriber Posts: 15
    As a graphic designer specializing in identity I seldom need to use photography - maybe just two or three times a year.  When I do, I always hire a professional or use the services of a photographer hired by my clients.  I try to avoid using stock images as I`ve seen too  many cases of the the same, or very similar, photos showing up in multiple places.For the purposes of my books, those submitting illustrative materials are responsible for thier own photography or the materials will be shot professionally by someone for the publishers staff.My current headshot (and profile photo) was shot casually by a professional photographer at the wedding of some friends.  When they saw the photo they got permission from the photographer for me to use it as I please.  In the past, I have always used a professional photographer for my head shots to be used for books jackets, magazine article bios, and speaking engagement promotion.  A photo of me that is just coming out in the self-promotion issue of HOW Magazine this week was taken by a photographer from Seattle who was hired by the publication.  I hope to use it for the jacket of my next book and for other promotional purposes.I`m a strong advocate of "don`t try this at home" when it comes to photography.  I can certainly take a quick digital image if needed for immediate use - like on my blog.  However, when I need a high-quality image for my marketing/promotion purposes - or to promote a client`s services/products - I will always hire a professional.- J.
  • Options
    Thank you for your responses Doris and Jeff. Anybody else use photos lately? Or decided not to (and why)? How about those of you doing the shots inhouse/yourself?
  • Options
    Jeff - got my issue of HOW today. Yes, I see you in there!
  • Options
    LogoMotivesLogoMotives subscriber Posts: 15
    Jeff - got my issue of HOW today. Yes, I see you in there!
    I haven`t seen it yet.  Over on the HOW Forum, magazine editor Bryn Mooth just posted that they just HAD to put me upside down!- J.
  • Options
    Yes, you`re standing on your head.
  • Options
    mchutchmchutch subscriber Posts: 7
    I do use photography a fair amount for my projects. It is a 50/50 split
    between a custom photo shoot and stock photos. It really depends on the
    clients and their budgets. I prefer hiring a photographer for a shoot
    because you have more creative control and the pictures are sole and
    exclusive for that client for a time period or you can negotiate a buy-out
    fee.

As was stated in the previous posts, there is always a risk with stock
    photography especially royalty-free stock photography for it too appear
    somewherelse. I also found that rights-managed stock photography can
    be just as expensive as a photoshoot once you calculate all the usage
    rights and usage time in.

For quick product shots, I have a designer colleague of mine that is also
    photographer with a studio setup shoot things for me.
  • Options
    Thanks to all of you for your answers  - and Jeff, I did see your upside down pic.Are there any more business people who aren`t in the design industry out there buying photography?
  • Options
    stevesteve subscriber Posts: 14
    Thanks to all of you for your answers  - and Jeff, I did see your upside down pic.Are
    there any more business people who aren`t in the design industry out
    there buying photography?I`m looking at buying some
    royalty-free stock photos for my webpage. This would be the first time
    I`ve purchased photos for this purpose. The source I`m considering
    allows 25 image downloads per day over 30 consecutive days for $159.