WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Radio Show funding

BigTopBigTop subscriber Posts: 4
edited November 2006 in Startup Funding
I don`t know if this is the right place to post this message.  I am looking to help some friends who have a radio show that is internet based.  They have been doing the show for a number of years, and have a small following that listen to them via the internet or through podcast. Typically they have paid for airtime and studio time from their own pocket, and have a number of best selling authors as guests on their show.  I would like to help them take their show to the next level.  Since they are small, they haven`t had any advertising.  They will need that  to move forward.  However, being a internet-based small show, they don`t have any geographical ties since their listeners are generally all over.  Their listenership is small (somewhere around 600 internet listeners, and probably somewhere in that neighborhood of podcast listeners).  Where would you suggest they go for funding to move their show forward?  They would certainly like to move this into full-time mode, but now it is still a hobby.  Thanks, - BigTop"It`s always a circus!"

Comments

• robertjrobertj subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    Bigtop,
    Some things need to be determined before one can answer your question including -
    1. How much capital is needed?
    2. What is the best strategy for acquiring it?
    Robert Johnson

• rvdebbyrvdebby subscriber Posts: 11
    Determine who is their listener and what habits that listener would likely have. Find small internet based companies who sell or produce those items.
    Create advertisments that could be inserted into their website.Check out http://www.hayhouseradio.com/</A> .
  • BigTopBigTop subscriber Posts: 4
    Robert, I wish I had some concrete answers to your questions.  I will give it my best shot.1.  Capital?  As much as possible.    My (uneducated) thoughts would be to have a small amount of capital streaming in, and as the show builds in popularity the capital will gradually grow.  At this point the owners of the show are able to continue at their current pace for a few more months.  I believe they would want to gradually move forward.  They want to move this from a non-profit show to a profit show.  So I don`t really have a hard number for you.  At this point a few thousand would be good, but as they gain popularity...a few hundred thousand would be needed.2.  Advertising seems to be a good avenue, but without a geographical center it seems that will be harder to come by.  They own a website, so generating revenue and directing folks to that seems to be another avenue.  Beyond that, I am looking for ideas.Thanks,BigTop"It`s always a circus!"Bigtop,
    Some things need to be determined before one can answer your question including -
    1. How much capital is needed?
    2. What is the best strategy for acquiring it?
    Robert Johnson

• BigTopBigTop subscriber Posts: 4
    RvDebby you are right on target!  The radio format is more spiritual - kind of a cross between Art Bell`s Coast-to-Coast and Wayne Dyer - sometimes it slants to more metaphysical...sometimes more science...but always spiritually oriented.Determine who is their listener and what habits that listener would likely have. Find small internet based companies who sell or produce those items.
    Create advertisments that could be inserted into their website.Check out http://www.hayhouseradio.com/ .
  • rvdebbyrvdebby subscriber Posts: 11
    Raise Capital presents some good ideas. Before you can do memorabilia you have to have created some memorys. I do like the idea of sending a sample program via email. Since it sounds to me you are doing talk format, you should also look at www.tut.com</A> It is a free subscription sight with items for sale incorporated into the site.
  • centerprisecenterprise subscriber Posts: 0
    If you need funding for early stage or start up business, I would suggest looking into angel investors. To get in contacted with some of the best of these angel investors that I have found would be at www.breadstreet.com .