WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Question on changing Sole Proprietor to LLC?

johio1johio1 subscriber Posts: 1
edited May 2010 in Business Planning
Hi, I currently have a business setup as a Sole Proprietorship in Ohio. I have an EIN setup and am doing business under a ficticous name. It`s time for me to start thinking about some personal liability protection so I would like to create an Ohio LLC and continue to do business under the same name I am using now. Here`s my questions on getting this done:
1. According to the IRS website it sounds like I can continue to use the same EIN since this will be a one owner LLC using pass thru taxing. What form needs filed to change the business structure to the LLC?
2. For my DBA registration, do I just refile it as a LLC instead of a Sole Proprietorship?

Am I missing anything else here? Basically I just want to create XYZ LLC and continue to do business under the ABC name I currently use.

Thanks!
Jason

Comments