WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Yet another marketing question...this time about PR

JanetFJanetF subscriber Posts: 4
edited May 2007 in Marketing
Sorry that I keep revisiting marketing topics, but in my personal opinion it is the foundation of every business. It is the absolute most important aspect of building a business. I would even go on to say it`s more important and more urgent than funding (which don`t get me wrong, is an important challenge also).
I have ran across several articles and websites on the internet about PR and getting free publicity through the press using mediums such as TV, radio, newspapers, etc. The problem is, I can`t find exactly how to do this. I found George McKenzie to be quite interesting as he has several ezines and articles about the subject. He also has a website, http://www.get-free-publicity.com/</A> , that sells CD`s, audios and such for $147. I was curious to buy it until I found out the price. I don`t know...I guess I`m cheap.  Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else has bought this program? Or BETTER YET, does anyone know the fundamentals of getting free media coverage? How do you go about this? I know I should write a press release, but what else?
Thanks for all your help!
Janet

Comments

• Options
    Yes I agree with what you are saying. However, I also believe even a bad or lame product can be successful with proper marketing.
    We are starting out with a local marketing campaign and are trying to penetrate the market here for the time being. We`re hiring one person at a time to fulfill the extra service calls as they come in. Luckily, we know several people who are qualified to help us out as the need arises. After the foundation is laid, we will add more features that make us unique and stand out from competitors better. The plan for the future is to create a national franchise and penetrate other cities` markets.
     JanetF2007-5-16 21:5:7
  • Options
    InactiveMemberInactiveMember subscriber Posts: 12
    Janet, If you haven`t already, go to the library and get a few books on PR. 
  • Options
    CookieMonster,
    Thanks I`ll do that.

Craig,
    I think the seminar would be an excellent idea. My husband definitely has things he can teach people. Maybe he could do one seminar for kids and one for senior citizens? Kids might enjoy learning how to build their own custom PC. Senior citizens probably just want to learn the basics of using a computer and how it can make their lives easier. Thanks for the idea.
  • Options
    Any tips on how to write a good press release?
    I came across this firm : www.publicity.com</A> Apparently they attempt to get media attention for your business and charge you only after they get it.
  • Options
    bertbert subscriber Posts: 12
    I found this web site in an INC Magazine article some time ago.  I have found them useful for many aspects of PR.
  • Options
    kevinzhangkevinzhang subscriber Posts: 6

I found this web site in an INC Magazine article some time ago.  I have found them useful for many aspects of PR.
  • Options
    nevadasculnevadascul subscriber Posts: 3 Member