WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

DBA vs. LLC - w/o knowing!

curbisidecurbiside subscriber Posts: 3
edited March 2009 in Selecting a Business
Well i was wondering something...ill be going door2door selling a service ($15-40 price range).  $5 will be a mandatory charity fund (to their choice) included in the price.

Since i have no idea on how this business will do, i wanted to know IF by getting a DBA "doing business as" would be the right identification before i make enough to become a LLC ??

I just want something to have in case the cops will be called (which im sure that would happen cause no one likes door2door), so ill have proof to show proper identification.

Also are DBA`s cheaper than LLC`s ?? cause if LLC`s are cheaper, why the hell not get that, cause im looking for the cheap legal way to startup.

Thanks!

Comments

• menexismenexis subscriber Posts: 1
    Well, there are two different types of DBA. One where you go to the bank to open a business account and create one as a DBA to get a business account with the bank.
    The other is you are already registered as a Corporation or an LLC and you happen to start another business, so instead of registering another business, you can simply create a DBA from the company you already have registered.
    Since you don`t know how this door2door business will work out, I would test the waters to see if the business will be promising before you even think about registering a DBA or an LLC.
    If it is successful, I would recommend you get LLC status to protect yourself as it seperates the business from the personal. If your wife wants a divorce (I`m just saying), then your business will be protected, and vce versa.
    good luck 
  • Sam MollaeiSam Mollaei subscriber Posts: 2 Member
    Its make a seance, I think you are right before start to go door 2 door, you must have all papers and legal documents. If you google DBA vs LLC, I hope you will get lots of information there, which help me know about this.
  • marketinggalmarketinggal subscriber Posts: 28 Bronze Level Member
    The type of service you are selling is an important consideration. IF your service has a high risk of liability opt for an LLC to protect your personal assets.  
  • ChiedoChiedo subscriber Posts: 13 Bronze Level Member
    The type of service you are selling is an important consideration. IF your service has a high risk of liability opt for an LLC to protect your personal assets.  
    What she said. 
    HAVE A KILLER APP IDEA? We help entrepreneurs build their app ideas and websites. LEARN MORE.
  • saravanansaravanan subscriber Posts: 389 Silver Level Member
     LLC's cost virtually nothing these days, and afford a lot more than protection...no one really takes DBAs seriously..they're for hobbyists, not stone cold start up entrepreneurs!