WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Expression by Microsoft

NuevolutionNuevolution subscriber Posts: 30 Bronze Level Member
Just when I was getting comfortable with DreamWeaver 8.0 Microsoft decided to launch "Microsoft Expression Web Designer"... After testing out the Beta Edition, I was amazed, by the simplicity of it`s functionalities... Creating and editing Interactive forms couldn`t get easier. Cascading style sheets can be created effort-less. If you are a designer or looking into becoming one, perhaps this is the tool for you. The only down fall I`ve seen so far, it`s only good with Microsoft Products like ASP and Ms SQL, I haven`t explored using MySQL or other open source products, but if you are into asp, this tool is definitely for you.. You can download a Beta Version At Microsoft.com.. and or if you are a developers Network partner they have it there too..

Comments

• bfleming98bfleming98 subscriber Posts: 0
    Edgar,
    Thanks for the Tip.  I use Visual Studio .NET.  Is this tool like that or is it more like front page?  ahh... I`ll download it and try it out anyways.

• NuevolutionNuevolution subscriber Posts: 30 Bronze Level Member
    Well, it has some features similar to front page. Like the design, codeview, and split windows, What I liked mostly about this software, the CSS (cascading style sheet) tool. I also liked the Integration tools for aspx and asp.I haven`t tried binding to an Mysql BD but I am willing to try it out.So you like Visual Studio? I`ve been using that for a few years. I`m a C++ OOP coder so I like to use it from time to time. Why not go with Dream weaver?
  • iouone2iouone2 subscriber Posts: 14
    I have been using Adobe GoLive for years... Since before Adobe bought the GoLive company. Anyway, I have found that GoLive and Dreamweaver are great tools. Not only do they upgrade each year with new capabilities and plug-ins, but they also DO NOT require a MS server. But maybe this new MS software has killed that "Proprietary" element. Somehow, I doubt it.
    Yeah I doubt it too.That`s what Microsoft does best. They make it where you have to stick to their products.. So you are saying that Golive and Dreamweaver can be used together, or do you export and then edit in Dreamweaver? I use Dreamweaver and Fireworks. I like the fireworks integration with dreamweaver. Those are my only tools  if I need to vectorize a drawing or picture.
  • mikehbmikehb subscriber Posts: 0
    Expressions is more than just another web site editor. It is a set of 3 programs (graphic design, interactive design, web design) that is designed to work with the new Microsoft Presentation Foundation (WPF). WPF will be the UI component that Vista uses when it ships. It`s a complete redesign of how Microsoft products will do graphical presentation.
    WPF is based on a markup language called XAML. It`s similar to HTML, and lets graphic designers construct any UI - web page, windows applications, etc -in terms of how graphics components are laid out in relation to each other. A wide variety of components will be supported - vector based graphics, animations, video, etc. Also, all these objects can be managed by using .Net code, which will allow designers to do some pretty dynamic things.
    The best way to think of it as .Net meets Flash meets HTML. It`s a long overdue re-write of the Microsoft graphics layer. More info can be found at:
    Expressions:  http://www.microsoft.com/products/expre ... fault.mspx</A>
    WPF:  . mspx
    Well isn`t that what Macromedia did, you get MX studio that consists of Fireworks (for graphics), Dreamweaver (web editor), and Flash (animation)? Even though I found some nice features in Expression, I don`t think MS made it a mutli-language platform. I don`t think you can code in php, or coldfusion. So therefore, it`s going to be a small community of developers using it. I might just use it for asp and asp.net creation.
  • JakeJake subscriber Posts: 2
    I am going to download Expressions and play.  Thanks for the info