WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Radio show proposal

JobYouDeserveJobYouDeserve subscriber Posts: 11
edited February 2007 in Public Relations
I`m not sure if I`ve posted in the right area, but I thought I`d throw out a question to you guys...
I`ve submitted a radio proposal, and I have a question: how long should I expect to wait to hear something...anything?  Does anyone else have experience with this sort of thing?
As always, thank you for your incredible insight!
Cheers,
Kristen

Comments

• PRProPRPro subscriber Posts: 25
    Hi Kristen,
    Who did you submit your radio proposal to and when?
    Thanks,
    Melanie
  • JobYouDeserveJobYouDeserve subscriber Posts: 11
    Hi Craig,
    I certainly will.  It appears that I have a lot to learn. 
    Kristen
    Hi Melanie,
    I`ll contact you offlist because these posts are indexed by search engines.  The last thing I want is for them to Google my name, find my posts and accuse me of saying something even slightly negative.
    That would be my luck!  LOL
    Kristen
  • CollegeCoachCollegeCoach subscriber Posts: 8
    Kristen:
    Ironically enough, today I appeared on WGN radio in Chicago. I have been on 2 of their shows so far. Basically, I found that if you can present an angle on a subject that is hot with their demographic and your in!
    For the first show I appeared on I had the pleasure of meeting the host at a party, and followed up with sending him information about my services. He didn`t make any promises to me and I didn`t hear from him again until one day I got a call from his producers that he would be calling me later in the afternoon to get my take on a subject he was talking about. I had about 15 minutes to prepare, but all went well.
    I then contacted, by e-mail, the host of another show on the same station to ask him if he would be interested in me appearing on his show. This was back in October and it finally formalized today, and I am tentatively scheduled to come back again in August.
    So at least in my experience it does take some time, and it is possible that they will keep your information on  file until something comes up.
    Good luck though, and I hope you have a blast on-air!CollegeCoach2007-2-24 22:23:24
    Hi CollegeCoach,
    It`s nice to hear about your pleasant experiences!  I agree that it`s fun to be interviewed.  I guess my issue right now is that while I like to be interviewed, I want a regular show...not just a one-time thing here and there.
    I`m exploring Webcasting as an alternative, but then all of the promotion and production costs are on me. 
    We`ll see...I`m still figuring all of this out.
    Thank you for responding! 
    Kristen
    I agree that it`s relatively easy to land a radio interview.  It has been my experience that most stations need content from professionals like us to satisfy FCC requirements.  Producers are willing to trade free content for free advertising...too bad they usually air the interviews at odd times - such as Sunday mornings at 6:30 a.m. - because they know their listeners want music. 
    My dream is to have my own show, which is much more difficult to convince a producer to give you!  So, I had to utilize my do-it-yourself attitude to achieve my dream.  There`s nothing wrong with that...things get done faster.    Plus, one day they`ll be asking me to be on their shows! 
    If this is something that you`d like to do, you can Webcast your own show.  It`s not cheap or easy, but I believe it`s worth it, especially if you own a service-oriented business.
    Best,
    Kristen
  • PRProPRPro subscriber Posts: 25
    Hi Kristen,
    I love your "can do" attitude, and I have no doubt you will make your radio-show dreams a reality some day based on your passion!
    If you have a good idea/theme for a radio program, I would just start pitching it to targeted contacts. It may take some time, but if you get yourself some publicity, provide good interviews/content and network with the right people, you`ll be well on your way to hosting your own show! 
    Melanie
    Thank you for your encouragement, Melanie!  I was targeting producers, but when I heard about Coach of the Airwaves, I took advantage of the opportunity because I think it has serious potential.
    I hope you`ll tune in...I will let everyone know when I have a date for my first show. 
    Kristen