WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

How to Get the Biggest Bang for No Bucks! A Competition!

AdvisorGarageAdvisorGarage subscriber Posts: 10
edited February 2007 in Public Relations
Hello Folks
I am a recent convert to the wisdom of the Startup Nation PR group...so I have another question.   A partner at a good Venture Capital firm has just agreed to be a `prize` for our Advisor Garage...the basic idea is that the entrepreneur or startup with the `best` elevator pitch within Advisor Garage by a certain date will spend a day with the VC firm to work on their business plan, pitch and get them `ready` for VC funding.
I think this is quite a good `prize` given the experience of the partners involved and what it could mean to a great startup but how best to get the message out to the right people and encourage them to refer others?
Feedback GREATLY appreciated!
Andrewhttp://AdvisorGarage.wordpress.com</A>

Comments

• Options
    keyconkeycon subscriber Posts: 34
    Andrew,
    I think you are at the right place for finding startups. What`s the offer? Where do we go to sign up? What are the rules? Who will judge? What is the judging criteria?
    Use this first "contest" as a test. Promote it at SuN only and track the results for your next contest. Don`t try to rule the world in one fell swoop. There are plenty of candidates here.
    How to create a large referral sunami? On your site, once a contestant applies online, the last step is to refer friends or associates doing a startup. Example reward: For every referral, contestant gets one entry into a drawing for a reward ... the more referrals, the more chances to win. Reward is your choice but make it interestig and valuable - at least enough to make people want it. Maybe a 4-day trip to Cancun or something. Trips like this are not very expensive to you but a 4-day paid vacation is something most startups would appreciate. There are so many incentive programs out there that are reasonably priced it would take all night to list them. But I think you get my drift.
    Where do I sign up? I have an idea
    R@
  • Options
    PRProPRPro subscriber Posts: 25
    Hi Andrew,
    Great idea with the contest! We did something similar here at StartupNation recently and received a lot of entry requests.
    One thing to consider...once you have everything in place to promote the contest, be sure to have some valuable information on your site. This way, first-time visitors will want to return for information other than just a contest entry.
    Best of luck with the contest,
    Melanie