WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Snail Mail Communication

keyconkeycon subscriber Posts: 34
edited May 2006 in Marketing
There`s a lot discussion on this forum (and most online forums these days) about marketing and communicating with the customer  - albeit most discussisons are how to reach these customers through electronic methods. And believe me when I say this, I love eCommunications and eNewsletters and eForums and all ..... but (there is always the but) there is a tried and true way to get yourself noticed with customers and stand out from the crowd that is not electronic.
Cards (in an envelope ... with a stamp ... dropped in a USPS box). Greeting cards, notes, thank you cards, I appreciate your business, Happy Birthday, congratulations and on and on and on.
How many of you have ALL info on your clients in your customer database? You are keeping a customer database, right? Especially the service people who are closer to the customer than an online business. ESPECIALLY the service businesses. Customer birthday, wife and kids BDs, anniversary date, dog`s birthday - you get the picture.
Guaranteed results. You send snail mail greeting cards to your customers ... you WILL get norticed. A greeting card sent to a customer trumps 20 emails - maybe 100. And with software today, it ain`t brain surgery to do this.
Do you like getting cards? 99 out of 100 people do. Your customers would like to get a card. The most successful car sales people have known this for years. And insurance sales people. Can you imagine the look on your customer`s face when their child recieves a birthday card from you and the child shows the card to them? Who do you think they are going to call the next time they need your type service? It works.
Does it work for every business? Not was well. But variations will. The closer you are to the customer the closer they will stay to you and your business. Remember the tortoise and hare fable? It still applies sometimes.
R@

Comments

• NicoleCNicoleC subscriber Posts: 18
    Dear Richard,
    I like the personal touch you mention especially since over 95% of my business is from referrals from people I know and people I have gotten to know while helping them.
    Besides the cards, I have clipped articles from the sports and achievement sections of the local newspaper and weekly business publications.  Then sent the clipping along with a personalized note congratulating them on either their or their family members accomplishment.  

• keyconkeycon subscriber Posts: 34
    Nicole - excellent idea on the paper clippings. You get it!
    R@
  • PRProPRPro subscriber Posts: 25
    I have to agree with Richard. In today`s fast-paced business world, it is so easy just to send out a quick e-mail note.
    But taking the time to send out pitches and personal notes via snail mail is an excellent way to get noticed.
    Also, that brings me to an important topic. How often do you thank both your external and internal customers, vendors and media members? It takes a little extra effort, but it is well worth it. If you regularly send a quick thank you at the appropriate time, it can create valuable relationships that can further the growth of your business.
    Melanie
  • keyconkeycon subscriber Posts: 34
    Melanie,
    Excellent points in your closing paragraph. Thanks for bringing them up.
    R@
  • LogoMotivesLogoMotives subscriber Posts: 15
    I`m a huge proponent of the handwritten note when communicating with many I come in contact with through my business.  When I had my letterpress business cards produced I had notecard produced with the same design on the front to use for a variety of purposes.  The few minutes needed to jot out a quick note is always time well spent.I will often send out a quick note of congratulations to clients or others when I read or hear about accomplishments - awards won, new clients, articles written, articles about, news mentions, new books, a business anniversary, birthdays, etc.  The personal thank you note is a major courtesy, as well as a major marketing tool.  I send them out to clients, vendors, editors, writers, publishers and others whenever it may be necessary.  In fact, yesterday I sent out two to publishers who have sent me books to review - it surprises them and the books keeps coming - and one to a printing rep who took me out to lunch earlier in the week.I also often include a quick handwritten note when sending out snail mail press releases to publication editors with whom I`ve developed long-standing relationships.  It personalizing the mailing and makes it appear a bit less mass-produced.- J.
  • PRProPRPro subscriber Posts: 25
    Jeff,
    It`s great to hear that you are using thank you notes as both a nice way to show people you appreciate their efforts and as a cost-effective marketing tool.
    Many larger businesses that I`ve worked with in the past were completely against sending out holiday cards due to the cost -They really missed out on a valuable opportunity to build important relationships.
    In today`s fast-paced business world, it`s nice to know that "traditional" thank you notes are still around - and providing additional marketing value - especially to small business owners!
  • LogoMotivesLogoMotives subscriber Posts: 15
    Many larger businesses that I`ve worked with in the past were completely against sending out holiday cards due to the cost -They really missed out on a valuable opportunity to build important relationships.Many of my clients now avoid sending out holiday cards in December due to what seems to have become an over-sensitivity to being "politically correct" and not wanting to offend anyone with a card of a specific holiday theme.  Most now send out New Year`s cards - thanking client/vendors for business of the previous year and offering best wishes for the new year.  Unfortunately, quite a few still don`t take the time to scribble a personal note in the card...- J.