WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Do you perform volunteer work as part of your business?

MyMarketEASEMyMarketEASE subscriber Posts: 1
edited April 2009 in Public Relations
Part of my business plan is to devote a certain amount of my time to community efforts.  To support this commitment, I`ve created a curriculum designed to teach young people how to start their own businesses, and conduct the courses as well as provide the course as a program to other organizations in the area.  This isn`t part of any PR plan, but is just something I wanted to do.

Are there any other entrpreneurs out there doing the same?  If so, what are the different things you`re doing in your community?

Comments

• nevadasculnevadascul subscriber Posts: 3 Member
    I currently serve as a volunteer on a county hazmat team.  I serve on the team not only to help my community, but improve my credibility for my business I`m launching. 
    I`ve also sat on three government advisory boards.  All three boards made recommendations to county officials on upgrades to community services.  This I did strictly to help my community.
    I`ve also helped start a fire department, search and rescue unit, ambulance service and a regional emergency response network in rural Arizona.  While each organization benefited my community, they were also a lot of fun.nevadascul4/15/2009 9:14 AM
  • LogoMotivesLogoMotives subscriber Posts: 15
    For over 30 years I have donated my design services to non-profit causes in which I have have a personal interest. I actually avoid serving on committees and Board of Directors as meetings are seldom a good use of my time.
    I get so many design service requests from nonprofits, with no connection to myself or my business, that I had to establish guidelines for myself in accepting such work - so I wouldn`t feel guilty saying "no." I will do work for local AIDS organizations, education programs, children`s groups and grass-roots performing arts organizations.
    In addition, I spend a great deal of time each year speaking to design students at high schools, design schools and universities across the country.  I do often make marketing or design presentations to local business groups as well.
    I look at any such activity as an investment in my profession and my community.  Any business that may come my way as a result is just a bonus.
  • MyMarketEASEMyMarketEASE subscriber Posts: 1
    Both of these responses are so inspirational.  You make me want to do even more.
    Thank you both for sharing.
  • MyMarketEASEMyMarketEASE subscriber Posts: 1
    Excellent.  And I`m sure the seeds you`ve sown will come back tenfold.

Thank you for sharing.