WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Do you freelance?

MistressofMarketingMistressofMarketing subscriber Posts: 2
edited April 2009 in Marketing
I`ve been heavily promoting my freelance business through online and print marketing but I know I`m missing something. If you are a freelancer, what has worked for you?So far I`ve used Craigslist (service section)Bought a banner ad and posted in a heavily trafficked forumslocal advertising and lots of face to face with people I meet every day but I`d still like to do more.thanks!

Comments

• LogoMotivesLogoMotives subscriber Posts: 15
    Years ago I eliminated the term "freelance" from my vocabulary - I always tell potential clients that I have my own design firm or that I run my own company.  Just saying that usually results in further discussion about what I do.  As I have posted in my SuN profile:��Freelance� is a nasty little word. It seems to imply an individual
    doesn�t have a �real� job, can�t get a job, isn�t truly professional in
    their field, and is willing to work for �free.��I do agree with nhgnikole, "professional" and "freelance"  together as  business description terms is confusing.Some suggestions:1.)  Go where the potential clients are - join organizations of local business people, attend networking events, etc.2.) Provide your services pro bono to a nonprofit cause in which you have strong personal interests.  You will make all kinds of potential business contacts while doing the nonprofit good.3.) Offer to speak about marketing/PR to local business organizations, at local colleges or community colleges - it will increase word-of-mouth and public exposure.4.) Propose writing articles, or a column, to business publications and newsletters.5.) Expand your online networking with business sites like biznik.comGood luck!- J.
    LogoMotives2007-11-7 11:42:24
  • MistressofMarketingMistressofMarketing subscriber Posts: 2
    Years ago I eliminated the term "freelance" from my vocabulary - I always tell potential clients that I have my own design firm or that I run my own company.

Well, the rational behind adding freelance is that I don`t want to imply that I am a firm or a company because public relations and marketing firms have huge billing rates. I want my clients to know that I am Professional (years of agency experience, training, a degree in my field) and that I work on a freelance and contract basis only. I don`t have a company name, it`s just me.
    The contact information is good feedback. I`ve added a clickable link to email me on the contact and front pages.
  • DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141
    I`ve been heavily promoting my freelance business through online and print marketing but I know I`m missing something. If you are a freelancer, what has worked for you?
    Writing articles has worked extremely well for me. You`d be absolutely amazed at the visibility your own articles give you, and how many doors they open. Also, lose the "free-lance" tag. You don`t need it, and it will only confuse potential clients.
    Dale King
  • LogoMotivesLogoMotives subscriber Posts: 15
    I totally agree with Karen - I am trading on my personal name, 30 years of experience, and business reputation with the business name Jeff Fisher LogoMotives.  Yes, it sounds like a professional company - but that it what I am running.  In speaking to design and business individuals around the country I always discourage them from using the terms "freelance" or "freelancer" - once you eliminate those words potential clients (and others) may take you much more seriously as a professional.With very little investigation - on my website, blogs, writings, etc. - any potential client can easily determine that I am a one-person firm.  About the only individuals who think I am a larger firm are students sending out resumes who desire to work for my "firm" - and they simply have not done their research.By using the term "freelance" in an effort let potential clients know you are affordable and accessible you may also be turning off larger potential corporate clients seeking the services of an outside resource.  I love working with the small, one-person home business - but it`s great to not limit myself when a major corporation is looking for someone with my talents and skills.- J.

Writing articles has worked extremely well for me. You`d be absolutely amazed at the visibility your own articles give you, and how many doors they open.
    How do you promote your articles? Are you writing for other sites? Publications? Or posting them on your own site?
  • Jaun22Jaun22 subscriber Posts: 0
    I think that is the great thing about being a freelance type business is the great one one customer service that it provides.
    You do a lot of talking about yourself, which no one cares about. The main point is what can you do for ME ME ME. It`s interesting that you got that from my front page. I thought where I say that I:Increase revenueIncrease customersBring experience to your projectsand place my clients in top publicationsmade it pretty clear what I was offering.

Spell it out.
    If you go with me, you get:
    * top placement
    * personal service
    * a professional image for your company
    * whatever whateverOk - thanks for the clarification! Excellent points.Robin
  • DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141
    How do you promote your articles? Are you writing for other sites? Publications? Or posting them on your own site?
    All of the above. I write for other sites, and I post my articles on my own site and at top article directories. I`ve also had several of my articles published in offline publications like Opportunity World and Money `N Profits magazines:
    sep-oct-2006.r_sqz_pages_cyberextorn
    Dale King
     DKing2007-11-7 15:41:46
    Thanks, everyone, for the great feedback. It is very helpful and I have incorporated it all.That being said, I moved to Mexico to get away from working 70+ hours a week and being a slave to my clients. I have no interest in getting to be a big company or making a million dollars. I would probably balk at a big client who wanted big projects. I just want to pay my rent, bills and afford a few tacos and margaritas at the end of the day. 
  • mchutchmchutch subscriber Posts: 7
    I totally agree with Jeff and Camp Steve. For some reason the word freelance conjurs up the most the most disrespectful tendencies of potential clients. It seems that they think of a freelancer as a hired gun.Though I am a solo practitioner, I do not consider myself a freelancer and tactfully correct people who have referred to me or my studio as one. As a creative director, I run a small studio and do assemble working teams of other independent designers, copywriters, photographers, web developers and marketing and pr people depending on th size and scope of a project.Best of luck with building your business.ps. I would stay away from Craigslist and other such listings. It just does not look or sound professional to be listed on a site where people are looking for dog walkers, used cars, or refrigerators.
  • abeltz01abeltz01 subscriber Posts: 0
    Hello,

I believe one key is in referrals, don`t be afraid to ask your past and current clients for their referrals.

I believe the other key is effective internet marketing. Since that can get expensive, you have to have a strategy before you start. However, I know of a excellent tool for entrepreneurs that is extremely affordable. Your virtual business card profile will be at the top of Google results when your name is searched...within 48 hours...GUARANTEED.

Check it out and sign up if you like what you see. I personally am loving it!

http://www.justsearchforme.com/?ref=ab

• freelancercrowdfreelancercrowd subscriber Posts: 0
    Here we have some tips for starting and developing a freelance career. Hope they would be of some use.
  • advernationadvernation subscriber Posts: 3
    writing and publishing articles is a great and free (if you write them) way of promoting yourself, getting out there and also building links