WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Sage Advice

PlanBConsultantPlanBConsultant subscriber Posts: 1
edited July 2006 in Thought Leadership
Every Entreprenur that I know has received some sage advice that they have owned and kept with them along their journey.  Mine was from a favorite very successful Uncle.  When I was in college he took me to lunch and told me  "Just because there is one jackass in the room there is no need to make it two!"  I have owned that and it has served me well through the years.
What is your sage advice?

Comments

• iouone2iouone2 subscriber Posts: 14
    Chris, I have a similar saying... maybe it`s my own, but maybe I unknowingly stole it... Never invest is something that eats while you sleep.eats can be food, interest, maintenance... you get the idea. But at the same time, you cannot hold any saying as always true. If it were, life wouldn`t have so many odd changes.
  • keyconkeycon subscriber Posts: 34
    You have 86400 seconds in a day to use. They do not carry over to the next day. At the end of the day they are gone. Make every second count. Use each of them to the best of your ability.
    R@
  • mchutchmchutch subscriber Posts: 7
    There are a couple of things I follow.

1. Be Kind. First because you
    should be and second of all, karma comes back to bite. I have seen it
    happen first hand, the implosion of individuals and businesses who
    didn`t follow that rule.

2. You get what you pay for. Value and quality are much important than the cost, you have to weigh both when making decisions in life, business, etc.

• LogoMotivesLogoMotives subscriber Posts: 15
    "The glass may be half full or half empty...Sorry, but I started to laugh as I began to read your excellent advice.  It reminded me of talking with a friend about her rather scatter-brained mother.  She said:  "With my mom it`s not whether the glass is half empty or half full - it`s "oh, what a pretty glass!`"(Back to the regularly scheduled thread topic...)- J.
  • kamolahykamolahy subscriber Posts: 27
    Our
    greatest fear is not that we are inadequate,
    but that we are powerful beyond measure.
    It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us.
    We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant,
    gorgeous, handsome, talented and fabulous?
    Actually, who are you not to be?
    You are a child of God.
    Your playing small does not serve the world.
    There is nothing enlightened about shrinking
    so that other people won`t feel insecure around you.
    We were born to make manifest the glory of God within us.
    It is not just in some; it is in everyone.
    And, as we let our own light shine,
    we consciously give other people permission to do the same.
    As we are liberated from our fear,
    our presence automatically liberates others.

-- This is a speech that was given by Nelson Mandela during his 1994 inagural speech. I know not everybody is religious, but there`s a principle here that drives me every day... I think as entrepreneurs, we do more good in this world by talking to one more client, complimenting one more employee, listening a bit more than we talk, taking just one more piece of advice, etc. The age old values of honesty, care and respect are unfailing. We do have our times when we have to be decisive and unrelenting (kindly unrelenting)... but in my business each employee knows that not one good deed goes unnoticed, and each member of Drop Box is as equal as the next without exception. I believe businesses thrive on empowerment.