WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Where Should I Incorporate?

RichTexanRichTexan subscriber Posts: 1
edited April 2007 in Business Planning
Hi, I live in Texas, and the average cost (including state filing fees) to incorporate here is around $450.
I have noticed that some states actually have MUCH cheaper filing fees, so I`m wondering if it would be ok to form my corporation in those states.
Also, while I`m on the subject... would you trust any of these Internet businesses to set up your corporation for you??
Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    pepperlegalpepperlegal subscriber Posts: 2 Member
    Every state has different corporate laws which may or may not be beneficial for your particular business, so filing costs are only one part of the overall equation.  The Internet businesses that set you up are not going to advise you on the pros and cons of incorporating, setting up an LLC, or some other form of business (and where the best jurisdiction would be), so you`re pretty much on your own with them.  You do get what you pay for!
  • Options
    cuttscutts subscriber Posts: 4
    Hi, I see people incorporate all over the country to try and reduce tax, fees, etc etc. At the end of the day it comes down to structure, ease of compliance work for you, and employment matters. You also need to look down the track and see how you want your business to develop and where physical locations may be required. However, in my experience I have found less hassles by actually incorporating in the State that you work and employ people in.