WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Simple LLC formation advice needed

RHHRHH subscriber Posts: 2
Hello,
I am about to start a business and I have two questions:
1-I have two partners, but I will have the larger percentage of the business.  We will have majority vote wins, but I want to have the option to pull rank at any time if necessary.  They both agreed, but how do we put this in writing?  Do we do a seperate Contractual Agreement or do we include it in the Operating Agreement? 
2-We have sufficient startup money, but will need an investor within a year or so to take us to the next level.  Should I leave around 40% (or a different %) or should we divy up our percentages as we procure investor(s)?
Thank a mil!

Comments

• Options
    MNGrillGuyMNGrillGuy subscriber Posts: 2 Member
    1)  Put everything in the Operating Agreement
    2)  Each time you bring in new money you need to sit down with the current owners and agree what % of the company the new money buys.  Of course the new money will also need to agree on this %.
  • Options
    armymom2025armymom2025 subscriber Posts: 0
    I would certainly draw up papers and have them notorized and make sure you have a lawyer to make sure everthing is leagally drawn up.
  • Options
    pepperlegalpepperlegal subscriber Posts: 2 Member
    I assume from your post that you are forming an LLC, however if you plan on seeking investors in the future, an LLC may not be the best option.  Forming a C- or S-corporation may make offering a percentage ownership of your company easier, and providing you with the ability to restrict the investor from having voting and other operational rights.