WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Do you charge for samples???

ChicLadyChicLady subscriber Posts: 4
edited October 2016 in Sales
I am getting tons of requests for samples... Do you guys charge for for samples? Shipping? HELP!

Comments

• GetAGripGetAGrip subscriber Posts: 14
    Are you speaking of samples for the consumer or for the buyer, if for the buyer, they are a must.  In my experience, there is not a buyer out there that is going to make a buying decision with a simple catalog sheet.  You need to get the product in their hand for them to make a honest decision.  Now, if your talking about for the consumer, I agree with everyone else, but for the retailer, get them samples!

If money is what your concerned about, there are a lot of loopholes that can allow your samples to be a tax benefit, one example is to charge $.01 or $1.00 and pay this yourself so it runs through your inventory system, such as your accounting software, like quickbooks.

Just my thoughts!  Thanks....Trent
  • DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141
    I`m pretty sure that she`s talking about consumers, Trent.

Dale King
    I kinda thought so also, but it isn`t stated.
  • sddreamweaverssddreamweavers subscriber Posts: 5 Member

I am getting tons of requests for samples... Do you guys charge for for samples? Shipping? HELP!

Can you describe your samples in detail?  Are they just a small piece of fabric or do you send out the actual product?
  • handelgatehandelgate subscriber Posts: 2
    And more important, do people actually buy your product after they get the sample?handelgate5/29/2008 4:14 PM
  • kathleenfasanellakathleenfasanella subscriber Posts: 0
    Are you speaking of samples for the consumer or for the buyer, if for the buyer, they are a must.  In my experience, there is not a buyer out there that is going to make a buying decision with a simple catalog sheet.  You need to get the product in their hand for them to make a honest decision.  Now, if your talking about for the consumer, I agree with everyone else, but for the retailer, get them samples
    I think samples practices vary according to industry. Chic Peeks is in apparel. In apparel, we don`t give free samples (not unless it`s an inexpensive fashion accessory item or a commodity) so the only retailers who`d be asking for them think:Chicpeeks are an inexpensive accessory item AND/ORThey think she`s too green to know any better.
    Either way, the solution to both could be to work on your image and marketing to improve the perceived value of the items AND convey a professional established persona to colleagues in the trade. The latter is is done through less obvious ways such as style numbering and what not (things no one will ever tell you). You can tell how green someone is just by how they number their styles. If they name them rather than number them, oh my. You`re ripe. The perception is, if you don`t know something that basic or think it`s not important, what else don`t you know? How else have you misprioritized?
    The matter is, even our outside sales reps don`t get free samples. They have to buy them (at cost of course). At least, people who`ve been around know they`re supposed to charge sales reps for them. If you don`t, they`ll know you`re green and ripe for exploitation in other respects as well. With no investment in the product, they either give them away, use them personally or sell them outright.
    I did mention to ChicPeeks that she might want to approach bloggers with a campaign, maybe a contest for their readers. Readers love those. My blog isn`t a good fit but I`ll bet the lingerie blogs would be.
    I didn`t think about your industry, very true!!
  • januaryjanuary subscriber Posts: 3
    Since you offer three pairs @ $16.99, why not give a free pair for every three bought for a limited period say two weeks, a month not more than that.
  • CookieCookie subscriber Posts: 2
    I send out a sample if I get a media request.  Most often, WEDGIE gets a write-up from it.  And orders follow the write-up. You can`t beat that ROI.

I`d never send a sample to a consumer.  Money back if they`re dissatisfied, yes.  A freebie?  No.

I sometimes get requests for a sample from garden centers or gift shops.  I offer to send one tool at the wholesale price + shipping.  It works.  I usually get an order but either way, I`ve
    always gotten paid.  Some retailers want to hold the tool & see how it works before they order.

Hope this helps. 
  • jasonburtonjasonburton subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    You need to do a physical visit to check the samples yourself, but if you request it and you ask to send you a actual samples by courier, then diffinetly you are entitle to pay the sample stuff and services as well as the shipping fee, and the package will be delivered to you in good condition with a detailed business prints on envelope or lables just as this http://www.digitekprinting.com/envelopes . I don't see business that send out samples by mails and that is free unless its was just part of their promotional campaign.
  • Jeff MarlonJeff Marlon subscriber Posts: 71 Bronze Level Member
    Shipping involves charges. I would suggest not to bear loss as a result you have to charge for samples if you are incurring loss.
  • Ankita1234Ankita1234 subscriber Posts: 49 Bronze Level Member
    You can send sample if the buyer is ready to pay for the samples. If he likes the sample then he can buy it in more quantity. Thats simple.
  • AThompsonAThompson subscriber Posts: 10
    I don't think offering free samples is a good way to go about it, since there are going to be a lot of people taking advantage of that.

A 'Money Back Guaranteed' policy is the way to go - and shipping should be paid by the customer, but you could also offer Free Shipping if the customer spends an 'x' amount.

That would make the customers trust you and your product.

Let me know how your product is going, and if you don't mind, the type of product your talking about.

Ashley
  • anushkachhakrabartianushkachhakrabarti subscriber Posts: 219 Silver Level Member
    Getting sample products made before you produce an. ... mold, pattern, or printing screen, you should expect to have to pay for the sample. ... free samples for a known brand or previous client, but will charge for new clients.
  • Adam JonesAdam Jones subscriber Posts: 124 Silver Level Member
    Sorry need more details to answer. I run a service business, so sending products doesn't happen. I send promo folders with photos and customer testimonials without any charge.
    I usually doesn't charge any money for  sample and it should not be charged from my point of view.