WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

What`s the best way to collect from clients who won`t pay?

PRProPRPro subscriber Posts: 25

Even if you have a sound, signed legal contract in place, what are your thoughts on obtaining fees from clients who will not pay their bills?
Have any of you used the Better Business Bureau to collect funds? I`m doing research on this topic and would love to hear your suggestions.

Thanks!
Melanie

Comments

• BusinesswithcentsBusinesswithcents subscriber Posts: 2
    small claims court is an option
  • stonesledgestonesledge subscriber Posts: 608 Silver Level Member
    Hi Melanie.
    My clients have paid 99% of the time, my problem is doing business with vendors that don`t give us the deliverables promised. We are then promised to be refunded and it never happens. I currently have 2 vendors who owe us several thousand dollars. I sent letters, final demands etc. I then contacted the better busines bureau for one of them, and the vendor did not respond. I contacted their local clerk of court and set in motion a fraud case. The second, after hounding her for a year....and utilizing alot of time and energy she has paid 4 payments and one bounced. It can be very frustrating. The second was a board on the local chamber of commerce and I asked that she be removed and she was voted out. I would not normally do so but she lied over and over again and cost of alot of money and time and frustration and didn`t seem to give a hoot and even opened a new business, so i know she had the money. Anyway.,the BBB can`t do much but small cliams or general district (which is usually faster) can.

Erin
  • RicWillmotRicWillmot subscriber Posts: 14
    Contracts aren`t worth a cracker; as Melanie proves here in this post.
    I tell all the members in my Mentor Program to charge your clients up-front.

It gets them focused on doing what has to be done

Never have the uncomfortable situation of asking for late payments

Keeps your cash-flow very healthy

Rgds,
    Ric

RicWillmot2/10/2008 8:29 AM
  • VideographyVideography subscriber Posts: 401 Silver Level Member
    How does someone enter a name into these credit reporting
    organizations? With so many people thinking about credit scores,
    wouldn`t it be useful if a small business could submit a no-pay
    customer into such a database?

You have to be a member merchant.  The last time I checked into this it was not cheap by any means.
  • PRProPRPro subscriber Posts: 25
    Thanks for all of your input. It sounds like there really needs to be a better way to collect funds for small business owners (if you don`t collect upfront)!

Melanie
  • KevDevKevDev subscriber Posts: 5 Member
    A couple of more ideas:Pick your customers carefully. If you have a bad feeling about a potential customer, walk away. Better to spend the time finding better clients than trying to get blood out of a beet.If your customer`s payment is late, always assume the best and give them a nice call asking when you can expect payment.If the nice approach doesn`t work, then start applying pressure. Often a letter from an attorney will open the money spigot.Finally, don`t be afraid to go to small claims court. But remember, if someone is really determined not to pay you, it may not be worth your while to try to enforce the court ruling (see point #1).
    Good luck!
  • glgcpaglgcpa subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    Here`s a couple more ideas, how well they work will obviously vary:Hire a collection agencyAsk them if they`d like to go on a payment planAsk if they`d like to barter the bill
    Thanks for the good ideas! Anyone else?
    Melanie
    Thanks for your suggestions!
    Melanie
  • RebeckaRebecka subscriber Posts: 0
    Hire a collection agency that reports to the credit bureau`s. They`ll keep a portion of the money collected, but at least other vendor`s will know they don`t pay their bills.
  • arstringfellowarstringfellow subscriber Posts: 0
    I chose to outsource my back-office management to a company called MBO Partners, which handles contracts, invoicing and collections, so I`m fortunate that they collect from non-paying clients on my behalf!
  • mahendra07mahendra07 subscriber Posts: 19 Bronze Level Member
    Dear Sir/Ma
    I write to introduce our financial services to you. I am a direct mandate to a Financial Institution who is also known as private lender specialized in the Lease and Sales of Bank / Financial Instruments in the form of Bank Guarantees (BG), Standby Letter of Credit (SBLC), Documentary Letter of Credit (DLC), Letter of Credit (LC), Performance Bonds (PB), Medium Term Notes (MTN) et al with funds is purely earned from private and corporate investment portfolios without criminal origin.
    We offer these from a genuine and certifiable finance company as the provider hence we are able finance your signatory projects and help you enhance your business plan. Furthermore, our financial instrument can be used for the purchase of goods from any manufacturer irrespective of their location. It can also serve as collateral with any bank in the world to secure loans for your project or to activate credit line to finance your business plan.
    Our financial instrument can be invested into High Yield Investment Trading Program {HYITP) or Private Placement Program (PPP). All bank instruments are for lease and/or sale from a genuine and reliable source without broker chain / joker broker story or chauffer driven offer while having your required time frame in mind.
    We specialized in Bank Guarantee {BG}, Standby Letter of Credit {SBLC}, Medium Term Notes {MTN}, Confirmable Bank Draft {CBD} as well as other financial instruments issued from AAA Rated bank such as HSBC Bank Hong Kong, HSBC Bank London, Deutsche Bank AG Frankfurt, Barclays Bank , Standard Chartered Bank and others on lease at the lowest available rates depending on the face value of the instrument needed.
    We will be glad to share our working procedures with you upon request to help us proceed towards closing deals effectively.
    Thank You
    Contact : Mr. Mahendra JainEmail : Jaindrabglease7@gmail.comSkype ID: Jaindra.bglease