WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

How to Monetize Your Website Without Google`s Adsense

DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141
edited February 2008 in Marketing
If you`ve been using the Internet for any length of time, you`ve no doubt heard the term "contextual" marketing. But what exactly is contextual marketing? Well, a prime example of contextual marketing would be Google`s Adsense - those little ads you see running on so many websites these days. The problem with Adsense however is that it places intrusive advertising on your website, which is a huge turn-off for many people.
However, there is a better, less intrusive way of utilizing contextual marketing. What is it? Instead of monetizing your website with advertising, try placing targeted product links at the tail end of relevant content. For example, if your website or blog has published an article on marketing, create a direct link at the end of the article that gives readers the opportunity to purchase a marketing product that is closely related to the topic of the article would be contextual marketing.
This method of marketing can be particularly effective if you own a content site. Why? Because according to the statistics I`ve read, content sites receive 90% of all Internet traffic. That means having a content site provides you with an outstanding opportunity to generate additional revenue from your website without alienating your visitors with Adsense ads. And even if you don`t own your own products, you can still utilize this method of marketing by linking your articles directly to affiliate products and earn money that way.

The key to making money with this method of marketing is to write a compelling, benefit-laden link that makes the reader want to click on it for more information. For example, suppose your marketing article was about writing effective headlines. You`d want your link to read something like this:

"Learn How To Instantly Create Magical Headlines That Make Money! Click here."

The whole concept behind contextual marketing is to snare the impulse buyer. And it makes perfect sense too, because if someone is interested in reading about a particular topic, there is a good chance that he would be interested in purchasing a product related to that topic.

So, are any of you guys utilizing this particular method of contextual marketing on your website or blog? I do.

Dale King
DKing2/8/2008 2:40 PM

Comments

• studiocheriestudiocherie subscriber Posts: 6
    Dale,
    I read your posts here and find them very helpful.  What you say here really makes sense.  People with a talent for writing can connect interested consumers with people with a talent for making products.  I guess that is what advertising is in essence, but to do it in this contextual format seems very immediately gratifying for all concerned.

As a vendor of products, how would I determine when and how to pay the blogger for linking people to my product? 

So far the blogs and online newsletters that I have seen and who have contacted me have only given me two options: free product reviews (although it is getting harder to get those and the writing is not very compelling anyway) or paid advertising, starting at about $125 per issue and going up from there.  Of course, then I have to hire someone to write the ad too.  Personally, I am not fond of advertising unless I am on an advertising site like JamesGirone.  I would much rather be linked in context, and I have been looking for someone who would do that for me, so I am glad to know the concept is already being used. 

Here is what I am looking for specifically: 

A travel writer who is traveling with babies because my accessories are great for that. (I have been posted about on such blogs, but without links)
    a professional party planner/lifestyle writer, writing about baby showers because my gifts really wow the party goers and start conversations

The writing has to be professional and compelling, and they have to have an audience.  Otherwise, I might as well just blog myself.

I will be watching this post to see who pops up already using this concept, and what they have to share about it.
  • studiocheriestudiocherie subscriber Posts: 6
    Whoops, I guess the travel blog does have a link, but I wasn`t even aware of it until I double checked it.  They also have ads there, go figure.  This entry reads like an ad, but it started with an actual experience that this writer had when he dropped his diaper bag in the toilet of an airplane restroom and he wished he had had one of my bags.  That entry could have linked to my site with powerful results because it was real, fresh, humorous and helpful.  I liked it better than this "ad."  Not sure where that blog entry is now...
  • DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141

Dale,I read your posts here and find them very helpful.  What you say here really makes sense.  People with a talent for writing can connect interested consumers with people with a talent for making products.  I guess that is what advertising is in essence, but to do it in this contextual format seems very immediately gratifying for all concerned.    Thank you very much, Cherie! I appreciate your kind words. Dale KingDKing1/30/2008 8:52 PM
  • RicWillmotRicWillmot subscriber Posts: 14
    Dale,
    I am so glad you have made this post! It has become evident to many (even though I was telling them years ago) that the ubiquitous adverts on blogs and websites are fallowed and annoying.
    Your point about contextual advertising is sincere and significant.
    It has worked well for my business, without me realizing what it was we had done.
    Last year, contextual advertising by some Dubai businesses on their websites about a seminar I was delivering, created an additional 23 people attending my two-day ($3,000 per person) workshop.
    This was a wonderful bonus for me and a significant windfall for those businesses who attracted a 10% referral fee.
    These businesses came to me, I did not approach them. At first, I was hesitant, but when they agreed to allow me full editorial control over what they put on their sites and blogs, I was more comfortable.
    Since then, I have been approached by a number of sites and blogs wanting to promote my teleconference CDs, seminars and Mentoring Program.
    Dale, as always, great commentary.
    Rgds,
    Ric

Thank you very much, Ric. I appreciate your kind words. By the way, it doesn`t surprise me in the least that you`ve been successful using contextual marketing in this manner. Hopefully, more marketers will finally wake up and smell the coffee. This is a very powerful marketing technique that works!

Dale King
    DKing2/1/2008 7:30 AM
  • RicWillmotRicWillmot subscriber Posts: 14
    IMO you shouldn`t use affiliate links in the content unless you are actually recommending them.
    In fact, I prefer not using AdSense because I can`t control every ad that comes across and I wouldn`t want my readers to be misled.

Exactly.
    Nikole has hit on why quality buyers may be passing you by.
    I immediately click off blogs and websites that have cheap, cheesy advertising.
    I know I will be mistaken somtimes, but I consider that if they are penny-pouncing for a few miserable dimes in commissions, then their other products and services are not good enough to financially support them.
    Hasta la vista, baby. I`m taking my business elsewhere.
    Rgds,
    Ric
  • advernationadvernation subscriber Posts: 3
    Great suggestion much better than those boring adsense ads that are irrelevant any way

Chris Maddaloni is an Internet Marketing Consultant for http://www.advernation.com a New York City based Internet Marketing Company serving businesses in Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island, The Bronx, Long Island and Westchester. He has helped websites with SEO (Search Engine Optimization) getting them exposure on the first page of top search engines using organic methods. He has a blog at http://www.advernation.wordpress.com and http://www.advernation.blogspot.com

Great suggestion much better than those boring adsense ads that are irrelevant any way 
    Thank you, Chris. I agree. This contextual marketing technique is much better and far less intrusive than Adsense. Hopefully, my post will get more marketers to dump Adsense and other similar intrusive advertising.
    Dale King
    I immediately click off blogs and websites that have cheap, cheesy advertising.I know I will be mistaken somtimes, but I consider that if they are penny-pouncing for a few miserable dimes in commissions, then their other products and services are not good enough to financially support them. Hasta la vista, baby. I`m taking my business elsewhere.
    Rgds,Ric
    I agree. Adsense ads are definitely not the kind of first impression you want to make.
    Dale King
  • MrbusinessMrbusiness subscriber Posts: 8
    Free newsletter then build data and charge advertisers to use your newsletter for ads.