WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Getting paid

DoozerDoozer subscriber Posts: 3
I do most of my reupholtery work locally, but a growing segment of my business is from my website. When I bill my local customers, I take a 1/3 deposit to start, then collect the remainder when I visit their location to install the upholstered items on their chairs. When I deal with a customer who is across the country however,(and who I will never meet) I feel it`s necessary to do things a bit different. I would like to take a credit card for the full amount, but I understand that most people would want to take delivery of my shipment before paying the full amount. This could leave me open to a customer who pays the 1/3 deposit and then never " gets around" to paying the remainder forcing me to go to a collection agency or something of that sort. Does anyone know a method that would be fair all around that doesn`t leave me in a risky place?
Thanks,
Rich

Comments

• Options
    RicWillmotRicWillmot subscriber Posts: 14
    50% deposit to commence work.
    Balance on delivery.
    Or Rich, you can avail yourself of our 10% discount by paying in full up-front.
    Rgds,
    Ric
  • Options
    DoozerDoozer subscriber Posts: 3
    Thanks Ric,
    The discount is a positive way of encouraging payment.
    Rich
  • Options
    RicWillmotRicWillmot subscriber Posts: 14

How much are you paying in overdraft interest, follow-up costs, book-keeping costs, and debt collections?
    How much can you make by having the money in the bank now?
    If 10% for pre-payment in full of your fees or price is too high, then you are not charging enough.
  • Options
    LiveWiseLiveWise subscriber Posts: 5
    I agree with Ric.  It is better to collect and have the money than to try and get it later.

Here`s another idea.  A friend of mine has an item that sells for about $1500.  She does half down one month and paid in full the next month when the item is sent.  There are times that she will break it down into 3 months, but it has to be paid before she will send it.  She guarantees the product 100%, but if it is returned, she charges a 25% restocking fee as now it becomes a "used" product.  Just an idea.  (This way does require more bookkeeping and follow-up, but she does get full-price.)