WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

I Got a Yes,but now I am a Little lost

delzakiyadelzakiya subscriber Posts: 7
edited January 2008 in Sales
Two weeks ago I sent the following letter by email,

Dear Mr. Zanker,
My name is Delores Williams. I help organizations develop 24/7 networks online. With a global venture like yours, I would like to submit a proposal to you about using a network such as ours to market and expand your programs. The difference with our program is that the programs can be done live or uploaded. You can also talk to your leaders around the world using our network, without the cost of a video conference. The biggest selling point is that you can do a live workshop in NY and have it broadcastin in real-time online for those who do not live in the area.  With your permission, I will submit a plan in writing to your NY Headquarters. Please look at some of our other channels to see the look.

His Reply came this morning,
LOOKING FORWARD IN SEE ING YOUR PROPOSAL AND SEND TO HEATHER ALSO

What do you think? I was just going to do a simple proposal because the whole point of my company is ease. I don`t want them to feel like they are reading a doctoral thesis. So what should I make sure to include.

Thanks guys

Comments

• Options
    RicWillmotRicWillmot subscriber Posts: 14
    You have put yourself in the position of sending an "exploration."
    How can you possibly submit a proposal to a client before establishing their needs, objectives, requirements and how you will be able to deliver exceptional value?My recommendation to all of you in similar circumstances is to build a relationship with the true-buyer and establish conceptual agreement.Meet with them personally (which can be via a telephone conversation), establish their objectives, understand how the client will measure the success or otherwise of your intervention, and then what will be both the tangible and intangible value and business improvement to the client.From there, you will be able to send a proposal to your prospect; which in actuality is a "summation" of what you and your prospect have conceptually agreed is a clear and correct path to go forward in this business relationship together.Rgds,Ric
  • Options
    There is nothing in the post that indicates to me that Del has ever had a conversation with Mr Zanker. If she has, I apologize.
    Craig, what is the "business plan" you are alluding to?(To be read with a smile on your face, in a friendly tone. Lesson here to Del: the written word can be easily misinterpreted ... have "real" conversations with people!)My approach to business is to comprehensively understand how I can improve the client`s condition and responding to that; rather than making sales calls trying to convince the prospect to use my widget.Consider these two approaches:Would you like to see the photos from my recent vacation?Can I see the photos from your recent vacation?I have never gone to an introductory meeting with a "true buyer" with anything other than my Filofax. The reason being, I am there to ask really smart questions and learn as much as I can from the prospect to understand how I can provide significant value to her.
  • Options
    You guys are great. Here is what I know of the company: It is The Learning Annex, which some of you are familiar with. I know a lot about the company, what they do, what type of courses they run, and how many show up in person. I just want to take it to the next level by incorporating a channel. I think I will submit my proposal for you to see. I have to write it first.

Thanks,
    Delores
    delzakiya1/3/2008 12:26 PM
  • Options
    NuevolutionNuevolution subscriber Posts: 30 Bronze Level Member
    Del,
    The reason you were stumped and got lost after Mr. Zanker said "yes", was because you were expecting a "NO". It shows me that you weren`t confident. Aside what everyone wants to say, some have a given you good advise others have well gotten off topic, but the truth is " You need to be confident" I know we are taught to "expect the worse", but as a business man you have to train yourself to expect the worse but don`t settle for less".
  • Options
    Del,
    Forget writing the proposal ... meet or talk to the guy.
    Nobody drives the freeways specifically to look at advertising billboards.

How will you know precisely what to put in the proposal and what the buying motives will be of this guy unless you ask him directly?
    Rgds,
    Ric
    RicWillmot1/3/2008 5:00 PM
  • Options
    DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141
    How can you possibly submit a proposal to a client before establishing their needs, objectives, requirements and how you will be able to deliver exceptional value?
    My recommendation to all of you in similar circumstances is to build a relationship with the true-buyer and establish conceptual agreement.Meet with them personally (which can be via a telephone conversation), establish their objectives, understand how the client will measure the success or otherwise of your intervention, and then what will be both the tangible and intangible value and business improvement to the client.From there, you will be able to send a proposal to your prospect; which in actuality is a "summation" of what you and your prospect have conceptually agreed is a clear and correct path to go forward in this business relationship together.Rgds,Ric
       Ric`s right. You need to talk to the client first either via the telephone or in person, before you can put together an effective proposal.  Dale KingDKing1/3/2008 6:53 PM
  • Options
    It`s too easy to send in a proposal that`s detailed, then end up broke because you didn`t know about a lot of things. Conversely, you send in a proposal that`s so undefined (again, due to lack of specific knowledge points), that you end up rejected as not knowing what you`re doing.

Exactly, Craig!
  • Options
    I get you, and I agree except that we are on opposite coasts. I do know about Zanker from attending his workshops and reading his coauthored book (Think Big and Kick Ass). I know that he went from a 5 million dollar company to a 100 million dollar company after he brought Donald Trump in as a guest speaker at an expo. I know that Zanker got his start by standing on the street corner in a clown suit giving away his fliers and a $5 discount. He would then run upstairs to his apartment and answer the calls.
    I know that he was a film student when he came up with the concept of the Learning Annex, and that his original idea was to have a school of film workshops. His girlfriend did pottery and asked if she could teach a class. I know that he sold the company and then repurchased it.
    I know that he does use some video now, but it is just pre-recorded stuff.

As to the expectation of no, well, I think the quickness of it was the issue. You guys are great. It is good to not be in this alone. Oh, and since I did send the initial request for permission to send a proposal and he agreed, then I feel that is best, but I would like to attach a meeting to it. I think that is a great idea.

delzakiya1/3/2008 7:40 PM