WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Company Names on My Product

TomMTomM subscriber Posts: 2
edited November 2006 in Protecting Your Ideas
I have been told by a company that they are not interested in partnering with my product, which is fine - their loss.  My product says on it:  "Fits  ____ and ____", and one company has said having their name used like that is not appropriate.
This company also said, even though they`re not interested, send some along to give away as a value-added item to their company and they will pass them along to complaining customers.
My question is, is my use of their name in directions inappropriate?

Comments

• SolidGrndSolidGrnd subscriber Posts: 11
    Tom,
    I am a bit confused by their response! It seems VERY logical to me...and it seems like something they would want. It is basically free advertising for them!? Provided...it doesn`t put their products in the best of light (rust rings and all)...but if someone is dedicated to their product...this is a great alternative to switching brands due to nasty rust rings!
    I don`t think it is inappropriate except that they might see it as a negative because you are stating their products NEED your product! That would be the only thing I can see being an issue. As for whether you put it on your product...seems to me that maybe it would work better on the packaging...similar to what tech companies do with aftermarket plugs and adapters and such!?
    Just a thought...best of luck! I think it is a great idea!
  • LordEmsworthLordEmsworth subscriber Posts: 0
    I don`t think your use of the product names on your product is a problem.  The company may be objecting because their name is associated with their competitor.  BTW, I`m sure these are both registered trademarks so the (R) symbol should be used next to both names.  Also, the copyright notice should inlcude the year and copyright claimant.  Although, I`m not sure there is anything copyrightable in or on the product.
  • TomMTomM subscriber Posts: 2
    Thank-you for your input, gentlemen.  The response was a bit confusing.  As for the name on the product, I probably should add the registered "r" to the mold  if I decide to leave it on there. 
    Wondering out loud, do all the software makers have to get permission from MS to say, "Works on Windows?"