WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

11 no-no`s when creating a website

vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
Check out this article - 11 pitfalls small businesses make when creating a website
Well, actually 12:

hire the cheapest Designers

hire uncle Bill to design their website

reinvent the wheel on the navigation of the site

website has an identity crisis

website has no call to action

think it will be easy, fast, and cheap to rank #1 in Google all over the world for the term “personal injury"

copy content from other websites in the same niche

websites are not search engine friendly and some are down right search engine anti-social

turn their website into the Times Square of the internet with excessive advertising

link out to anybody and everybody

make poor domain name choices

(BONUS) Their site looks and sounds like a video game promo

If you avoid #1 & #2 you may avoid all the rest of the pitfalls.

~Roland

Comments

• Options
    ArcherTCArcherTC subscriber Posts: 1
    You may, but you may not.
    I was speaking with a former colleague last night who has landed with a new company.  He said they paid 60,000 (no typo) for their corporate business site and it was horrible.  (One of these Flash-driven sites that probably fits your #12.) They paid another 5,000 for someone to "fix" it and now it`s even worse.
    I was floored. 
  • Options
    vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    Yup... that`s why I said "you may avoid...".
    It can be a challenge finding a web designer (or almost any vendor). Ideally, the designer will be honest about his/her limitations. That`s why it`s a good idea to really define the scope of the work to be done, check references, review past work, and have an on-going conversation with the designer through the planning and designing process..

I haven`t run across one of those $60k gigs yet.

~Roland
  • Options
    ArcherTCArcherTC subscriber Posts: 1
    No worries, as I understood your "may" just fine.
    No surprise, the 60k sites are the realm of the corporate world rather than the startups.  When you`re spending someone else`s money (e.g. decided by some CEO who is making money that he or she will have to apologize for after a bailout), it may be easier to authorize.
  • Options
    VideographyVideography subscriber Posts: 401 Silver Level Member
    I would change #8 from "anti-social" to "hostile" which is the correct opposite of "friendly".