WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

How I began remembering names

MattTurpinMattTurpin subscriber Posts: 22
edited April 2009 in Thought Leadership
I`m horrible with names. I`m sure I`m not alone. However, I`m not so horrible anymore. The solutions were so simple, I`m slapping myself for not doing so sooner. I hope this helps other people remember names. In my experience, when I actually remember someone`s name, especially after a period of time, it`s huge brownie points. Could help anyone who lives on sales, though it helps for anyone in general.
First, I started paying attention. It sounds stupid, I know, but I don`t think I was before. I was thinking about what I had to say, what I had to do, what I had to accomplish. Nope - that won`t work. When names are being said, names are the only thing I hear. I make a point of remembering that face and that name like nothing else matters, because, really, nothing else matters. If I`m not paying attention now, I`m offending someone later. Pay attention with as much focus as you can muster.The second is to repeat the names right then and there. Repeat the name when it`s first said, IE: "And this is Bob." "Hi Bob.". And after all the introductions, I do a test run. "So you`re Bob, and you`re Joe, and you`re Sue, and Tammy, and Rick, and Manuel, and, umm, I`m sorry, I`m bad with names, could you say yours again? I`d hate to leave here not knowing it." It`s ok to not have a photographic memory, but make sure you`re straightforward about it. Not remembering eight names all at once won`t offend anyone. Leaving pretending you did, and trying to fake it later will. It`s best to get it all squared away before you split up.Anyway, those two things help me tons. I got tired of asking friends who such and such is, ten minutes after introductions, or having to ask about the same person for three separate parties in a row. If anyone has other tips, I`m sure they`d be welcome. It`s an important thing to know. People like their names. I got the first tip from a friend of mine, and the second from a podcast, Manager Tools, which also ratified the first. The whole repeating the entire name order at the end and paying attention to faces is just something I do that seems to help.MattTurpin3/22/2009 5:13 AM

Comments

• ArcherTCArcherTC subscriber Posts: 1
    It`s ok to not have a photographic memory, but make sure you`re straightforward about it. Not remembering eight names all at once won`t offend anyone. Leaving pretending you did, and trying to fake it later will.
    Exactly.  That is why the statements "please forgive me, but I have a poor memory for names.  I`m Tammi and you are..."  and an expectant pause are absolutely fine.  In many cases, you`ve also relieved the other person from trying to remember yours.ArcherTC4/7/2009 7:05 AM