WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Designing Brand Identity

indiedesignindiedesign subscriber Posts: 1
edited February 2007 in Protecting Your Ideas
Hello fellow members.
I would like to request some help on my desire to start a home-based business in which I offer brand identity/architectural design services.
I have recently purchased a book titled "Designing Brand Identity", and this book is great.  But it seems that it requires a TEAM of people to follow the brand identity process.  This is really frustrating, because I know the process is proven and effective, but seems impossible for ONE individual to execute all the steps.
Has anyone experienced the same frustration with a business/brand process?  Did startupnation book really help you in creating a strong brand?  Just looking for experiences in which startupnation helped overcome any sticking points.
Thank you in advance for any replies.
Raul

indiedesign2007-2-6 2:46:9

Comments

• indiedesignindiedesign subscriber Posts: 1
    Craig,
    Here is what I understand on what brand is vs. brand identity. BRAND is the promise, the big idea, the expectations that reside in a customer`s mind about a product, company or service. BRAND IDENTITY is the visual or verbal expression of a brand.
    I would like to start a design group(team) which offers brand building, architectural design and construction management. I love both technical challenges and the fine arts. I am such a poser-minimalist.
    As for market position... my concept is altruistic. I really want to help the client communicate artistically. Competition around my area just takes a brief conversation and goes straight to printing. Sure they make alot of money, but it is not effective design.
    Raul
  • stevesteve subscriber Posts: 14
    I have to admit that I`m totally confused by your business idea.

Brand building
    +
    architectural design
    +
     construction management ?

If there`s a common thread there I`m missing it.

Steve,
    Let`s scratch the construction management and residential design.  Let`s focus only on the brand building.  So could startupnation really help someone like me to build a strong brand? I only have design background, so the research and business aspect is new to me.
    My current textbook is great, but when questions come up, I do not know where to turn.  I imagine that a startupnation fan could at least get help from fellow members. Has your experience with SN being positive?
    Raul
    I`m still confused. Do you want to be a branding consultant? Or are you seeking to brand some other business?
    Steve,
    Sorry for the confusion.  I would like to go through the process of developing a brand identity for myself.
    Raul

Now I understand. I found an interesting blog just yesterday called BrandXpress that you might find helpful. A lot of good information there about branding.
  • patentandtrademarkpatentandtrademark subscriber Posts: 103
    what does the book say about timing of filing trademark applications?
    Steve,
    Thank you for the branding blog...great information.
    Craig,
    I do not offer a product, but I offer Graphic Design services. As for a website, I did register a domain with a friend, but I have been unable to communicate myself with that person. So I am not sure if that relationship has dissolved. So out of respect his creative input, I rather start from scratch. So that is why I have come to this community.
    What makes my design services different, well to me, it is more of intrigue vs. obvious, and minimal vs. complexity. My attempt at defining a target audience is as follows: Male, Middle-aged, middle income, non-designers who offer technical or construction services. Too isolated, still vague?
    Thanks for all the help.
    Raul
    James,
    Within my textbook, the Trademark process is part of Phase 4 - Creating Touchpoints. The main idea is a distinctive identity is worth nothing unless you can protect it.
    As far as timing, it did not really mention anything about time. Would you like me to list the steps?
    Raul
  • patentandtrademarkpatentandtrademark subscriber Posts: 103
    I agree that identity is worth nothing unless you can protect it.  Yes, please list the steps about protecting the trademark.