WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Is Google Too Dominant?

DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141
edited July 2008 in Marketing
There`s no question Google has changed the internet - though some would argue not necessarily for the better. Critics point to Google`s dominance in search and pay-per-click advertising - just to name two areas of dominance and pray that another major player comes along to level the playing field - to challenge Google to provide better service.
What do you think? Would you like to see a serious Google competitor emerge? Or are you totally happy with Google and everything it brings to the table?
What are your thoughts?
Dale King

Comments

• DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141
    Personally, I don`t have any problem with Google dominance. I haven`t thought about this extensively but web search might be one of those instances where a monopoly actually serves everyone`s interests most efficiently. If that`s truly the case, I`d much rather see that monopoly in the hands of a bunch of rebel nerds whose corporate motto is "don`t be evil" than, say, in the hands of government. Google`s services and products are great for the most part, and the company consistently stands up for the rights of its users. That`s not to say they`re perfect or that there`s no room for competition, just that I think the company handles its dominance much more responsibly than most über-entities.

I agree with your position for the most part. Let`s face it, we could do a lot worse than Google!

Dale King