WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

How to Get Free Advertising For Your Home Business

2»

Comments

• tell2momstell2moms subscriber Posts: 0
    Hey
    I think this is a great idea. Is there a specific script that you use when you to make the call? I am interested in finding out what I should say and who I should ask for for an interview. Any tips would be appreciated it!
    Cheers,
    Cindy

Cindy,

I have contacted a number of types of media and I always get a response when I pair my product info with a relavent news story.  And we got our first press yesterday!

http://www.savvymom.ca/index.php/newsletter/game_on/2

I guess I need to be a little more patient.

I think Dale`s post is so timely.  Getting your product noticed is getting harder and harder no matter how good it is.  Finding out how to get free press is a great way to drive sales.  1-800-Got Junk built their business this way!

Dale, you make another good point.  If you want to promote your business, you need to develop your communication skills.  There is no one correct way.  Develop your won style.

I have been reading Pubicity Hound for about a week now.  The advice is sound.  However, how does everyone feel about using press releases in general these days?  I think they were more effective before the internet.  Now, anyone can send one.  Comments?

I just wanted to say that I have been a member of this community for a little while now and this is the first time I have posted.  It has been a great learning experience for me.  Thank you to everyone. 

Kim Maksymuik
    ChatterboxGames.com
  • DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141
    Great advise. One caution though. I`d hate to think of this as "free". True, it may cost the business owner no money, but the best way to get papers or other media to pay attention to your business is to develop a relationship with them first. Email the business writers for your local paper or news station; comment on an article or story they did; provide useful information they may not have thought of or, even better, because of your expertise, you know a bit more about than they do. Create a relationship such that you are now a potential source for them. With these types of relationships built, stories or PR about you, your employees or your company will come much more readily and you`ll be quoted or used as a reference much more than with a single shot story about your business.
    So, doing it this way doesn`t cost money necessarily, but it does take some effort.
    Thanks for the tips, Dale!

That`s also great advice. Thanks, Kurt!

Dale King
  • DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141

we got our first press yesterday! http://www.savvymom.ca/index.php/newsletter/game_on/2    Congratulations Cindy?????? Kim?????? Sorry... there are two different names in your post, so I have no idea who I`m talking to. Dale King
  • piteracreativeservicespiteracreativeservices subscriber Posts: 1
    I`d like to echo some previous comments: start with smaller community newspapers. I`m a freelance reporter for a weekly paper in Orlando, and I know from first-hand experience that it`s a lot easier to pitch a story idea to the editor of a small paper. Also, reporters at smaller papers (especially weekly editions) aren`t as stressed by deadlines, so they`re probably easier to get in touch with. In fact, some of us are quite open and receptive to new story ideas.
    With regards to getting in touch with editors or reporters, my advice is to be very upfront and respect the fact that they`re probably quite busy. Try not to be discouraged if your first attempts at getting press coverage aren`t successful. You might offer to send your information along anyways - some reporters will keep it in tickler files for future reference.
    - Erika
  • staged4morestaged4more subscriber Posts: 0
    I agree with Kurt. I live in San Francisco bay area and the reporters here get bombarded with inquiries so I don`t even call them. I know keep calling them they will get irritated. I do get calls for interviews because of my google ranking locally and my blog, and when I get a good press contact, I always keep in touch. I haven`t been very good with implementing my PR plan this year, and I need to work on that
    Cheers,
    Cindy
  • Professor2020Professor2020 subscriber Posts: 0
    Press Releases are great but don`t forget the free events listing section of major media!  Throw an event whether free or charge a fee and many will put it into their events calendar!!!  Do a value added free content rich webinar or podcast.
  • WebJunkyWebJunky subscriber Posts: 8 Member
    the power of press, was effective in the 60`s and still is today!  often overlooked today isn`t it. but as you can see from everyone`s experiences this one strategy alone could be all one needs.  thanks to the press release submissions sites available today, those that are facing saturated media markets like san fran can take matters into their own hands by crafting a solid press release and distributing it online. you can get just as many leads. that reported who is too busy to take your call may be browsing the web all day and run across your release....now he is the one that will come to you.
  • redfishredfish subscriber Posts: 10
    I recommend exchanging links with similar businesses (and contact information).  For example, we get referals from print designers and refer people to ad managers if they`re looking for print or radio, ect...
    My two cents on affiliate programs -- why would you provide the information that is useful and not include your affiliate id.  I trust people with affiliate ids if the content is relevant to me.  They should be rewarded.