WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Website Evaluation Form: Does Your Site Stink?

DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141
When I surf the internet, I`m absolutely amazed at how many bad or poorly-designed websites there are on the world wide web. And there`s really no excuse for it. Nowadays, you can build a halfway decent website for less than $100. Your website is the very first impression people have of your business. You should want to make it a good one. In that regard, I`ve created a website evaluation form for you to evaluate and grade your own website. Anyone who would like to see the form, can do so by clicking on the link below. The form is not designed to be a "be all end all" solution for building a website - merely a guide.

http://tinyurl.com/2ko4yk

As always, I welcome your comments and/or feedback.

Dale King
DKing2/29/2008 5:21 PM

Comments

• DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141

Any idea why the link caused my Norton Anti Virus to go into quarentine mode?    That`s the first complaint I`ve had. Anyone else having that problem?  I have Norton on my computer, and it does register false positives sometimes. Dale KingDKing2/29/2008 5:23 PM
    Mike, even though I haven`t received any virus complaints other than yours, I directed my hosting company to scan my entire site for viruses. This is the e-mail I just received from them:

Hello Dale,
    I didn`t find a virus on your website when I browsed it and scanned with an
    antivirus
    Please advise
    --
    --
    Eugene Kashperovetsky
    Tech Support Department
    midPhase Services, Inc.support@midphase.com (e-mail support)
    866-MIDPHASE (phone support)

I suspect it was a false-positive on your end.

Dale King
  • PeterCPAPeterCPA subscriber Posts: 0
    Worked okay for me.
    Peter
    As for the form idea, I think it`s a good one. The only problem is that people who tend to put up bad Web sites, also tend to believe a) the site is fantastic, and b) they`re completely knowledgable about what makes a site good or bad. So they probably wouldn`t "need" such a form.

That`s generally true, but I approach the evaluation form with the same expectations as any other advice I dispense... If just one person uses the form to improve their website, this post will have done its job.

Dale King

I agree 100% with you, Dale, and the form is great. Anyway, while I agree with you 100% that there are a ton of "bad" websites out there, I`d have to say that some of my biggest competitors have really uncool websites and they`re still extremely successful in business. I had to reconcile myself to the fact that if a website is really just an extension of your business card, most people can get away with not so fancy-schmancy web 2.0 websites and stick to the basics. Why? Because their clients don`t care. Because their target audience ALSO sports bad websites, and the circle continues.
    I know you probably won`t agree with me but just google some terms like `virtual assistant [your city]` or something like that and you will see what I mean. A lot of these people are actually very successful but their websites just plain stink.

Tia, first of all, thank you for your compliment about my evaluation form. Now regarding your comment... while it`s true that a number of successful businesses have websites that stink, that`s really not the point of my evaluation form. The point is "improvement." For example, it`s an indisputable fact that employees who take specialized courses to improve their education and skill-set, advance further and earn exponentially higher incomes than their less-educated and less-skilled counterparts. Conversely, successful businesses that take the time to improve their websites will not only attract clients who don`t care if their website stinks - they will also attract clients who do care, and as a result will become even more successful.

Dale King
    DKing3/1/2008 9:00 PM
    Good point! And I`ve definitely taken pointers from your form to improve mine!

Thanks, Tia!

Dale King