WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Anyone advertise in Coffee News?

rusmanrusman subscriber Posts: 7
edited February 2008 in Marketing
I know I`m jumping the gun as I`m not ready for advertising, but I was wondering if anyone had tried Coffee News (www.coffeenews.com). If you don`t know, they are a one page, front/back print with ads and some small anecdotal stories/news and are usually found in coffee shops or restaurants. I have not checked pricing but would assume they are cheaper than most other print media. Some things I like about Coffee News is that they don`t allow more than 1 type of business ad per page (so only one realtor, or plumber, etc.) and they have a contest for money if you find the hidden logo in one of the ads (so it forces you to look at all that ads...until you find it at least). Has anyone used them and what was your success rate?

Comments

• stonesledgestonesledge subscriber Posts: 608 Silver Level Member
    Hi, we did. I have a friend who owns 3 areas. I was in it for 8 months and unfortunatley did not get a thing from it. I think It is good to get your name out there or for a home service business.
  • DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141
    A client of mine who`s a mechanic tried it against my advice 4 years ago. He didn`t receive one phone call. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. A former girlfriend of mine who does computer consulting also tried it against my advice. She also got nothing out of it. I personally think you`d be a lot better of with a small ad in the newspaper or the local community shopper.

Dale King
  • PeterCPAPeterCPA subscriber Posts: 0
    Use the money that you would have to spend on this advertising to take a strategic alliance partner (or prospective one) to coffee or lunch.
    Peter
    I believe it comes out weekly which is too often...

Why is that too often? The company is quite successful with a weekly publishing format.

Dale King
  • rusmanrusman subscriber Posts: 7
    While it sounds like this advertising idea is not a good one, I would agree that the more I can get an ad out, the more exposure my business would get.

Dking,  I am a bit confused by your response. In an earlier post you suggest advertising in Coffee News is a bad idea but then you go on to state how successful the company is.  When I mean it is too often, I mean from the advertisers view, not Coffee News!

First of all, if you read my response carefully, I never said that advertising in Coffee news was a bad idea. What I said was a couple of clients of mine had tried it and didn`t receive any business from it. Obviously, Coffee News works for some people or they wouldn`t still be in business. I just can`t recommend it personally, based on my clients experience. I think there are more effective ways to promote your business, other than Coffee News. Second, what I disagreed with you about is your assertion that the once a week publishing schedule is detrimental to Coffee News advertisers. I don`t believe that to be the case at all. I just think it`s like any other advertising medium - some people benefit from it, some don`t. The once a week publishing format has nothing to do with it. Dale KingDKing3/3/2008 11:32 AM
  • SendThemCardsSendThemCards subscriber Posts: 0
    I tried Coffee News last year during the Holiday season which is the peak time of the year for our business. I did not recieve even one call.

I think it works best for a service company. The ad needs to be run every week to be effective and it needs to address the impulse buyer.
    I think it works best for a service company. The ad needs to be run every week to be effective and it needs to address the impulse buyer.

The clients I referred to are both service-oriented businesses, and neither of them received a single phone call either. I just think Coffee News is one of those hit or miss marketing propositions. But like I said, it works for some people and not for others. There can be a variety of reasons why that`s the case. But I`m not going to rack my brain trying to figure it out.

Dale King
    Doormat, I`m going to walk away from this conversation, because you`re not making any sense to me at all.

Dale King

• rusmanrusman subscriber Posts: 7
    Perhaps the issue is that the market that picks up coffee news is much different than any other advertising media (tv, radio, newspaper, specific magazines, etc.). I would say the market for these might be unpredictable, and variable at best. I, for one, have seen them before, but have not ever read one until I thought about advertising in it. Just a thought.