WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Forum Addiction: Are You An Addict?

DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141
edited February 2008 in Marketing

Definition of addiction: The condition of being habitually or compulsively occupied with or or involved in something.

Forums are a great way to market your business, and interact with like-minded individuals. On average, I spend about 20 minutes per day on forums. I zip in, make my post(s) and zip right out again. Why so fast? Because I`ve got a business to run, and I`ve got plenty of work to keep me busy all day and half the night. However, I know of several individuals who spend 8 hours per day or more on forums. Their explanation is they enjoy the community of forums, meeting new people and basically just hanging out.

I`m not a pyschiatrist, but in my opinion, if you`re spending 8 hours per day on forums, unless you`re the forum owner or a moderator, you`re addicted. Not only that, if you`re spending that many hours per day on forums, how are you getting any work done? How are you running your business?

So here`s my question: How much time do you spend on forums each day?

As always, I welcome your comments and/or feedback.

Dale King

DKing2/28/2008 10:39 AM

Comments

• Wirehead321Wirehead321 subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    Dear Dale,

I spend about 4 hours online in my various forums. Mainly because that is where I find most of my business. In fact I just set up a client at five different business networking groups. Just ziping in is not really a way of understanding how great business networking can be in creating new business for your company. I just read a report from the IDC group that talked about the dynanics of business networking applications and how they are going to change the way business are using business networking sites like Startupnation to get and retain clients. for my clients who I consult with now I tell them just having a web page is not enough. I recommend setting up a myspace page and subscribing to at least five business networking sites. Of course a charge them a consulting fee for this work up to $300 per hour to do a complete business networking site. But it worth it if the get one good client at a meet up event from a business forum. Recently I was at such event I meet a business promoter who goes to 18 meetings from business networking groups per month he now says he will make over $100,000.00 off one client he met online. So think it over some times zipping in and not really looking who is in the forum could be business that is lost do to haste.

Best Regards,

Howard Lee
    CIO
    Wirehead Technology
  • DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141

Dear Dale, I spend about 4 hours online in my various forums. Mainly because that is where I find most of my business. In fact I just set up a client at five different business networking groups. Just ziping in is not really a way of understanding how great business networking can be in creating new business for your company.
       Howard, I`m a marketing consultant, so I know about the importance of networking. In fact, I do my share of networking on forums and other mediums as well. However, I simply don`t have the time to spend 4 hours a day on forums. I have a business to run. And even if I had the time, I can think of a lot more productive ways to spend those hours. Dale King
  • DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141
    Howard, I just took a quick peek at your website. I hope you don`t mind some constructive criticism. But if I were you, I would definitely consider getting a "real" website. Having a "free" website with all of those intrusive pop-up ads sends the wrong message to potential clients. It just looks unprofessional. I certainly wouldn`t give my business to someone who had a website like that. To be perfectly honest, I would never even go into business, unless I could afford to build a decent website. But that`s just me.

Just a suggestion.

Dale King
    DKing2/28/2008 9:01 PM
  • Wirehead321Wirehead321 subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    Yes, I know Iam changing it as we speak. Its just that I got more clients after linking it to myspace. but the change is coming stay tuned. I would like to say that it seems you are online more that a few minutes. So let face it doing business online in forms is how you and I do business. Being on online is running my business.

Best Regards,

Howard Lee
    CIO
    Wirehead Technology
  • stonesledgestonesledge subscriber Posts: 608 Silver Level Member