WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Does Article Marketing Help With Search Engine Results?

DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141
edited February 2008 in Marketing
I`ve visited this topic several times in this forum, and I`m going to continue to do so, because I`m absolutely passionate about article marketing. Because I know that it works. But does article marketing really help with search engine results? Well, rather than tell you that it definitely does help, I`ve decided to show you indisputable proof. A couple of days ago, I wrote an article titled, "How To Get Free Traffic By Writing Articles." The keyword phrase I was targeting was "how to get free traffic." Well, only a couple of days after writing that article, my website is currently #6 on Google for that keyword phrase, out of over 12 million pages:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ho ... tnG=Search

I wrote another article recently titled, "How To Monetize Your Website Without Google`s Adsense." The keyword phrase I was targeting was "how to monetize your website." Well, my website is currently at #9 on Google for that keyword phrase, out of nearly 3 million pages:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ho ... tnG=Search

And those aren`t benign phrases either. Lots of people search those keyword phrases.People search for ways to get free traffic. People search for ways to monetize their website. You`ve probably searched those phrases yourself. I could give you hundreds of other keyword phrases that I rank highly for, but hopefully I`ve proven my point about article marketing.

It really does work.

Dale King

DKing2/22/2008 7:48 AM

Comments

• studiocheriestudiocherie subscriber Posts: 6
    Craig,
    You`ve got me rethinking my position that only professional writers should write articles and blogs.
  • essayhelpessayhelp subscriber Posts: 10
    I think that when it comes to writing the audience wants to know one thing and that is : Do you have the information that I need? I take myself as an example- I will read anything that will give me valuable information, even if its broken English, spelling mistakes etc..  if the information that I need is there - thats what matters to me.
    essayhelp2/21/2008 2:00 AM
  • DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141

I think that when it comes to writing the audience wants to know one thing and that is : Do you have the information that I need?    While that`s generally true, people also read articles for their entertainment and/or news value. That`s why sites like Buzzle, Google News and Yahoo News are so popular. Sometimes people just want mindless news to get away from it all. Dale King
  • WickedWicked subscriber Posts: 2
    Craig -
    That`s an interesting point you mentioned about a separate site for blogs. Right now our site is nearly done with an integrated blog section built in. I`ve never thought about the cross-referencing if you have a couple different sites. Now since we have an integrated blog on our site (soon to be launched) I`m wondering how I can work in another blog site as well to "cross-link" the two.
  • LogoMotivesLogoMotives subscriber Posts: 15

There`s no question that *content* is key to visibility, but those
    articles don`t necessarily have to be, say, a magazine (e-zine)
    article. Keep in mind blog "articles" too, and the idea of separation
    between the main site and blog.

Craig - 
    You don`t have to "sell" me.  After a decade my static website had become somewhat stale - and not something that I was taking the time to update on a regular basis. My original blog - bLog-oMotives - was drawing more traffic to my site than anything.  With the addition of my book promotion blog - Identity Crisis! - the traffic and requests for additional information about my design services was getting nuts.  I then decided to retain my website home page, showcase my design work in what I call a "blogfolio" and link the home page to all three blog projects.  The search engine traffic to articles, visual posts and other info has been incredible in the last few months - and there`s lots of cross traffic between all the URLs.
    I`m also posting articles on blogs and in profiles on a variety of other business and design sites and directories - all with links back to my home page and/or the other blogs.
    - JeffLogoMotives2/22/2008 12:50 AM
    What this all comes down to is Dale`s secondary point that WRITING matters! One way or another---whether you do it yourself or hire someone---you can`t just put up a Web site and sit back, doing nothing! Write, write, write, and put the results Out There.

Bingo! That`s precisely the point of my thread. The search engines love and reward relevant content, so give them lots of relevant content.

Dale King
  • rusmanrusman subscriber Posts: 7
    So, help me understand how a blog on a different domain helps your ecommerce site? Why is it different from being on your main site?
     Also, you mention relevant content, so I should keep the blogs/articles somehow tied to my ecommerce business? For example, my day job is in the IT industry so creating a blog about IT and promoting my ecommerce business (which has NOTHING to do with IT) would not be favorable, correct?
    -Rustyrusman2/25/2008 11:49 PM
  • rusmanrusman subscriber Posts: 7
    Yeah, sorry, I wasn`t thinking straight when I posted the first part .
    But how does having a blog on a different domain help with search engine placement?
    If the blog refers back to the main domain, then that domain has a number incoming clicks, which make it seem that more people are interested in viewing the domain. More people viewing would ordinarily mean more interest and relevancy, so the searh engines would elevate the status of the domain.

That`s not necessarily true. Having a blog does not necessarily equate to improved PR or search engine results. There are a number of other variables involved such as the age of the blog and domain,  popularity and the number and quality of incoming links.

Dale King

DKing2/27/2008 3:49 PM