WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Are these features or benefits?

MattCMattC subscriber Posts: 10
edited January 2008 in Marketing
Hi...

I`m reading these for a sports supplement... are these features or benefits? They seem like benefits... but would they sell???  are they weak benefits?

- Maintains bone health and studies have shown it may increas the rate of fracture healing
- Accelerates repair and supports proper health of connective tissue
- Promotes joint cushioning and cartilage regeneration
- Minimizes pain and inflammation

Comments

• DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141
    I`d think the benefit would need to be something more immediate, such as "makes you feel better".

That`s not true. Matt, everything you listed is a benefit - a very strong benefit. But just so that  it`s clear, let me explain the differnce between features and benefits:

Features are characteristics that physically describe your product or service. Benefits describe how your product or service will help the customer solve his or her problem. In other words, what the customer will gain by using the product or service. Following are a few example of features and benefits:

A feature is a "high resolution computer monitor." A benefit is that computer monitor gives you a sharper image and is easier on the eyes.

A feature is your new recliner has "reinforced lumbar support." A benefit is that recliner is comfortable and will help support your lower back.

A feature is the room service that your hotel provides. A benefit is that room service allows you to eat in the comfort and privacy of your own room at your convenience.

A feature is "Lojack." A benefit is Lojack will help police find your car, if it gets stolen.

When trying to sell your product or service, talk about the features, but for greater impact, ALWAYS explain the benefit of each feature.  Hopefully, that clarifies things for you, Matt.
    As for your question, would they sell? That all depends on the rest of the copy, and the entire presentation of course, but based on what I`ve seen so far, I`d say yes, those benefits would definitely sell!

Dale King
    DKing1/14/2008 8:28 PM
  • DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141
      My point was that unless you are marketing to doctors, your market isn`t going to know what bone density is, why connective tissues need proper health, or why cartilage regeneration is important. They are not specific to be tech-spec-level features, and too specific and not "what`s in it for me" enough to be benefits to the consumer.
    Who is the target market his the process of presenting the content of a topic to an audienceere?
    Here`s an example for consumers ...
    B Vitamins and the B-Complex are vital in maintaining health of the neural system, improve heart function, increase energy, etc ... and your specific pill could deliver the most potent form of B-vitamins because you don`t heat-process them and store them cold to maintain purity ... but most consumers would be thinking "neural system? cold processing for purity? not relevant to me" and click off.
    If you said "Our B vitamins will help you to feel more energetic and alert" ... you`d sell them on it.

Actually, it goes far beyond target audience. The product must also be presented properly. Presentation is everything! The product must be presented to the target audience  in a clear, compelling and precise manner that effectively solves the problem in the prospects mind. Assuming those things are in order, the benefits that Matt listed are powerful enough to sell the product.

Dale King
    DKing1/15/2008 10:49 AM