WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Marketing Eggs In A Basket...

DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141
edited November 2007 in Marketing
I`m sure you`ve all heard this before, but it doesn`t hurt to be reminded. Don`t put all of your marketing eggs into one basket. You have to diversify. Don`t try to earn all your revenue from one product, one program, one affiliate network, one website, one source, one niche, or one marketing method. Why? Because if you only have one source of income and one method of promotion, if that source fails you, unless you`re independently wealthy, you`ll be up the proverbial "creek without a paddle."
Instead, be smart and think ahead. Protect yourself and your future by developing multiple streams of income, as well as multiple ways of promoting and marketing your businesses.
Dale King

DKing11/22/2007 9:07 AM

Comments

• smallbizcoachsmallbizcoach subscriber Posts: 0
    Couldn`t agree more with you.
    Aaron
  • DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141
     What you`re saying is true, only if a business doesn`t want to grow and prosper. My advice isn`t for those businesses that are satisfied with where they are. However, any business that wants to grow and prosper can benefit by diversifying, and planning toward the future - especially the local restaurant. All it takes is a little marketing ingenuity. I personally can think of at least ten ways a restaurant can diversify and develop multiple streams of income as well as different ways of marketing and promotion. Marketing 101: "A business should NEVER put all of its eggs into one basket." That`s a recipe for disaster. It`s naive and not very smart to suggest otherwise.

Dale King
    DKing11/23/2007 6:38 PM
  • UrbanMeltUrbanMelt subscriber Posts: 2
    Dale, I know what you`re talking about with the restaurants.  They can bring in more income without bringing in more customers.  If you go to a local restaurant, you may see that there are placemats that have paid for ads for other local businesses.  I see many restaurants that have a big rack where one could put their business cards up for a fee.

I think what Dale is trying to say is to think outside of the box sometimes.
    I think what Dale is trying to say is to think outside of the box sometimes.

No, that`s incorrect. I said exactly what I was trying to say. However, in case I wasn`t quite clear, I`ll reiterate:

"Don`t put all of your marketing eggs into one basket. Build a portfolio of income streams--not just one or two--but many streams from completely different and diversified sources."

Dale King
    DKing11/24/2007 5:05 PM
  • CookieMonsterCookieMonster subscriber Posts: 0
    What does marketing have to do with multiple revenue streams? This isn`t really a marketing issue. Multiple revenue streams are a probability hedge; not a marketing strategy or tactic.
  • stonesledgestonesledge subscriber Posts: 608 Silver Level Member
    Dale,
    diversify,diversify,diversify in marketing efforts!
    Erin, that`s exactly what I said in my initial post. Did you not read the last paragraph?

"Protect yourself and your future by developing multiple streams of income, as well as multiple ways of promoting and marketing your businesses."

Dale King

DKing11/25/2007 5:34 PM