WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

(Untitled)

DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141
edited November 2007 in Marketing
The Open Directory Project (AKA DMOZ) is the most popular free directory on the worldwide web. However, if I were building a new website today, considering the myriad of problems that DMOZ is having, I would bite the bullet and pay Yahoo $299 annually for a listing in its paid directory. In fact, that`s exactly what I plan on doing with my next website. Here are 6 reasons why:1. The Yahoo Directory is the most powerful paid directory on the Internet. 2. Yahoo guarantees to review your site within 7 days of submission.3. While there`s no guarantee of approval, if you follow Yahoo`s guidelines carefully, your site will more than likely be approved and listed...providing of course, your site is a legitimate business website. By the way, whether your website is approved or not, the $299 fee is non-refundable.4. If your site is brand new, you have the advantage of obtaining significant web exposure much faster, as opposed to just waiting for your organic rankings to kick in. 5. Google places a great deal of weight on having a backlink from an industry-specific listing in Yahoo`s directory, which has an "off-the-charts" page rank of 8.6. Once your site is approved, it will be featured in the "What`s New" category of the directory which can send a good amount of traffic to your site, as well as give your site a nice little boost in the search engines. Although Google is still the world`s most popular search engine, Yahoo is still widely used worldwide. Why? Several reasons: Its webmail progam, its popular IM program, RSS feed reader, and many other bells and whistles it offers keep people coming back to search Yahoo for their personal and business needs again and again.
Are any of you guys using Yahoo`s Paid Directory? What do you think about it?Dale KingDKing2007-10-6 8:43:51

Comments

• stonesledgestonesledge subscriber Posts: 608 Silver Level Member
    Hi Dale,
    I agree. It certainly helps. Especially when one is first starting out. Thanks for the info!!

Erin
  • prowebaddictprowebaddict subscriber Posts: 0
    I`ve been considering it but I am still on the fence. I`m not quite sure if it`s worth it yet.
  • DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141

So which directories should you submit to?
    Thanks.
    Andrew

Andrew, If you take DMOZ out of the equation, if you`re a new site, generally speaking, I think you should definitely submit to Yahoo`s Paid Directory, for the reasons I stated in my opening.  However, I don`t think that advice applies to you, because like me, you own an article directory with plenty of good content.
    Just keep doing what you`re doing, and the other directories and search engines will eventually find you.
    Dale KingDKing2007-8-21 16:58:41

Thanks, Dale.
    What about my static `sales` sites? Should I submit those?
    Thanks.
    Andrew

You`re quite welcome, Andrew. I think you should concentrate solely on marketing your article directory. It has tremendous potential, and the last thing you want to do is split your focus. Besides, as I understand it, your directory is eventually going to be your main site correct?
    I think you should redirect your traffic from all of your other sites to Great Management, since they`re all related theme wise. Just a suggestion.
    Dale KingDKing2007-8-22 8:9:21
    Yes, Andrew. That`s exactly what I mean.
    Dale King
    I`ve been trying to decide if it`s worth the money.  I get most of my traffic from Yahoo.  
    You just answered your own question. Since you`re already getting the majority of your traffic from Yahoo anyway, you should definitely give it a shot. It`s only $300. If it doesn`t work out for you, don`t renew next year. But the only way you`re ever going to know for sure if it`s worth it is to try it.
    Dale King
     DKing2007-10-5 8:8:39
    Thanks Dale, good point.  Also, thanks to you for bringing up some great topics that lead to great informative discussions. 
    Thank you very much for your kind words, Vicki!
    Dale King
     DKing2007-10-5 8:11:33
  • JoeJustinJoeJustin subscriber Posts: 1
    Unless I misunderstood the original topic, I beleive we are talking about paying Yahoo to get listed in their directory/search Engine?  I don`t understand why anyone would do this really.  If you know what you`re doing you can get listed in Google pretty much within a 24 hour period.  I got my site listed in less than 8 hours on Google.  You could be listed in Yahoo and MSN in a couple of days.  Why spend $300.00 to get listed when you could do it for free?  News Flash:  WEB 2.0 does work and it`s not going a way.  You can get indexed in record time for free when using WEB 2.0 techniques.If you don`t know what I am talking about you need to start to learn. 
    Unless I misunderstood the original topic, I beleive we are talking about paying Yahoo to get listed in their directory/search Engine?  I don`t understand why anyone would do this really.  If you know what you`re doing you can get listed in Google pretty much within a 24 hour period.  I got my site listed in less than 8 hours on Google.  You could be listed in Yahoo and MSN in a couple of days.  Why spend $300.00 to get listed when you could do it for free? 
    Joe, the main reason for paying to be indexed is, depending on the competitiveness of the keywords being used, based on my own personal experience, paid-inclusion will deliver a much higher ranking in the search engine results.  And while the results are not guaranteed, it`s worth doing in my opinion.
    And while there`s no way to actually prove this, I`d be willing to bet that a great percentage of the highest ranking sites on Yahoo got there through paid-inclusion. Not surprising, if you really stop and think about it. It only stands to reason that Yahoo would reward those sites that are actually paying money to be indexed. Otherwise, there`s really no incentive for people to pay.
    Also, $300 is really a drop in the bucket when you consider the popularity of Yahoo, and the amount of traffic it can direct your way.  Yahoo`s price reflects the fact that it is the number one destination for Internet visitors and has a well organized directory that millions of people use to find products and services with. 
    In addition, once your site is approved, it will be featured in the immensely popular "What`s New" category of the directory. That feature alone is worth the price of submission. When you consider the popularity of Yahoo`s directory, this kind of exposure can be priceless and will often allow you to immediately recoup the cost of submission.
    Dale KingDKing2007-10-6 15:13:27
    Dale,Ok. All that you said sounds good.  But why would you pay for it when you can do it for free?  and use the $300.00 for sya a PPC campaign on yahoo?
    Dale,Ok. All that you said sounds good.  But why would you pay for it when you can do it for free?  and use the $300.00 for sya a PPC campaign on yahoo?
    Joe, the higher rankings I get from Yahoo`s paid-inclusion are well the $300 a year. Also, I get the residual effects from Yahoo, because it helps my rankings in Google as well. In case you didn`t know, Google has an immense amount of respect for Yahoo`s directory. That`s why I don`t spend money on  pay-per-click advertising. I don`t need to.
    Dale King
     DKing2007-10-6 15:14:28
    I guess it just boils down to a personal preference.  In less than 30 days I was on the first page of google for some very competitive key words.  I am remain on the first page and usualy very high on the first page.  That`s why I wouldn`t consider pay $300.00 to get listed.  To me it`s a waste of money.  I wish you the best!
    I guess it just boils down to a personal preference.  In less than 30 days I was on the first page of google for some very competitive key words.  I am remain on the first page and usualy very high on the first page.  That`s why I wouldn`t consider pay $300.00 to get listed.  To me it`s a waste of money.  I wish you the best!
    Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I wish you the best as well!
    Dale KingDKing2007-10-6 15:44:29
  • williamwilliam subscriber Posts: 2
    Paid submission to Yahoo is a waste of money.  Use your money in areas where your company really could use it.  Good content, keeping your site fresh, and longevity are what ranks your site.
    DMOZ is a dinosaur past it`s prime.  It will not do anything for your site.  As previously stated.  Good keywords, optimized content, page title, meta tags (yes meta tags still), and non-paid one way links are the best.