WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Should I use the phonebook for direct mail list?

ProdigyProdigy subscriber Posts: 19
edited May 2008 in Marketing
I`m wondering if I should use the phonebook to target my direct mail campaign to local restarants so I can get their addressees. Do you think this is a good idea sending mail directly to the retaurants?

Comments

• HPSHPS subscriber Posts: 1
    I find it is much more efficient to buy a targeted mailing list. Generally labels are included so it is fast and easy. It costs more but it saves a lot of time.
    HPS2007-6-30 9:58:11
  • DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141
    Buying a targeted mailing list is a much more efficient and practical way of compiling a mailing list.
    Dale KingDKing2007-6-30 9:59:33
  • aes2007aes2007 subscriber Posts: 0
    Buying a targeting mailing list is a great way to go.  There are companies that will get you a targeting mailing list and send out postcards for you, which would sounds like that could be an option for you. Try www.expresscopy.com</A> and see if that is helpful.
  • Josh244Josh244 subscriber Posts: 2
    It really depends on the size of your mailing. It`s important to keep in mind that direct mail usually doesn`t garner more than a 0.5% response (1% if you`re really really lucky).You usually need to buy mailing lists with 1000s of addresses or more. My feeling is that if you`re going to spend the money to mail, you mind as well spend the additional couple of cents per mailer and make sure you`re getting them to the right people. There are some good sites online which offer great mailing deals and package services. BOOM INK did a mailer for me and I was pretty pleased with it.
  • ProfessionalListsProfessionalLists subscriber Posts: 1
    I agree with the above posters.  For a living I put together mail campaigns, if you don’t use a mailing list company you`ll get bounced addresses, (people move you know) you`ll get people who are completely un qualified to purchase your products, or who are statistically un-interested.

You can isolate your mailing list down to people by income, sex, area, and MUCH more.  Data is very powerful.  Further if you use a company, such as mine, you don’t `rent` the list, you mail to it multiple times.  This will increase your likely hood of being noticed and getting a sale.