WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Lawyer for LLC in NYC

IanawhiteIanawhite subscriber Posts: 2
edited June 2007 in Business Planning
I`m looking for a lawyer to help me prepare Articles of Organization
to form an LLC in NYC.
This is a new company I`m starting while finishing up my PhD at Cornell.
I am currently developing 2 products with a view to develop additional
products.

I have investors lined up and expect to be viable within two months.

I have a manufacturer for my first product, two large conservation groups
interested in endorsing the product, several editors considering
articles about my product and a 30 min radio interview in September.

A licensing agreement was offered for my second product, but I have
chosen to pursue development myself.

I need a lawyer that would be willing to bill for services and accept
a net 90 deferment on payment.

I will also need a lawyer to help me with legal advice as my company
develops future products and grows.

Cheers,
Ian.

Comments

• pepperlegalpepperlegal subscriber Posts: 2 Member
    I have a number of colleagues who practice in NYC, but frankly you will have a tough time finding an attorney willing to defer payment for 90 days.  You may be able to find a new or very junior lawyer willing to do so.
  • IanawhiteIanawhite subscriber Posts: 2
    I`m not sure how this information really helps.
  • pepperlegalpepperlegal subscriber Posts: 2 Member
    Well, I`m trying to set your expectations for being able to find the type of attorney you`re seeking.
    I`ve been attempting to file alone without using a lawyer.I`ve had a couple questions about the application process soI posted to a couple forums.  Rather than offering advice theresponse is always "find a lawyer".I`m a PhD student and poored every last penny I have into this project.I can`t afford a lawyer until I receive funding.  I can`t receive funding untilI identify my company as an independent entity.I can`t do this with having questions answered about filing correctly.Despite most people using these forums having experience with how difficult it is at the early stages, it`s surprising how little people are willing to help out.There are, on the other hand, unlimited numbers of people that are willing to respond to inform the questioner of how tight the spot they are in really is.Lot`s of "you should consult a lawyer", "you`re going to have a hard time with that", "you should study".Yup, yup, yup.  It`s tough, which is why these forums originally came into being.  For those that have gone through the process to throw a bone back to us neophytes still learning the ropes.I`m a Scientist, not a business man, not a lawyer, but I`ve created a couple great products and advanced this business further than anyone had anticipated.  I`ve had to do it by reading, learning, asking questions...I`m now out of money, about to send out my business plan to interested financiers, have a manufacturer awaiting the "go-ahead" and I need to incorporate before I can do any of this.  I think I have a pretty good understanding of the Articles of Organization, but I don`t understand the requirement for advertising in news papers.If I have to pay $800 to get this question answered it will be unfortunate, but I`m willing to do it.  i just don`t have the money until I receive the funding.Anyway, sorry about the rant.  Just wish altruism were a little easier to tap.
    I`ll look into it.Thanks for the info.Ian.
  • bookloverbooklover subscriber Posts: 8 Member
    What about a SCORE counselor in your area? 
    Just "googled" SCORE as I hadn`t heard of it before.looks promising.  I`ll look more into it.Thanks for the suggestion.Ian.
  • bookloverbooklover subscriber Posts: 8 Member
    Good luck!  Let us know how it goes.