WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Best sales jobs?

ChrisFarleyChrisFarley subscriber Posts: 20
edited April 2015 in Sales
What are the best sales jobs today? I am currently working my lawn care business on the side while I pursue a real career as one of the best salesman in my area. Any advice?

Comments

• ChrisFarleyChrisFarley subscriber Posts: 20
    Well I could, currently I am still in college, so the lawn care is just money on the side for me. I am looking at getting into sales and then i am going to invest.
  • LiveWiseLiveWise subscriber Posts: 5
    I would highly recommend BookWise.  There are several people that have are already set for life because of their sales abilities.  I will be set for life in the next few years.  You ask how that can be done.   BookWise is the largest and fastest growing franchise of bookstores.  The company has been growing at about 15-20% per month and has a less than 1% drop out rate.  It will soon be going into Canada and will be entering other countries as well.  There is a 100% money back guarantee too--after 1 year, if a person`s life is not better, then they can get 100% of their monthly fees back, minus commissions--and you keep everything.  Worse case scenario is that you will have twleve great items off your website, 12 e-books, 12 audio books, tax training, business training, and everything else and all your money back.

You can make money by having people by from your internet franchise store.  You can also make money from helping others get their own franchise and building a team.  With each person that you bring on, you get their matching commission paycheck.  (If you found 100 people that wanted to join, you would get the matching paycheck of 100 people).

The thing I like about this the most is that there are no minimums to meet.  I don`t have to sell X amount of product or talk X number of people into joining.  Everybody gets paid on levels 1-8 as long as they make the small monthly payment of $39.95.  (A dollar of that goes to charity.)  I figure if I put in a good 3-5 years, I will be set for life as I can do this until I`m 106 years old...if I live that long.  Then I can leave it in my will to somebody near and dear.  I can work and build somebody else`s business, and if I save, I will get a monthly check when I retire--that may not be enough to continue with the lifestyle that I want.  With BookWise, I will get a LARGE monthly check for the rest of my life and for the rest of my child`s life and longer.  You can too.

For the small monthly payment, you get:
    *One item of your choice from your internet store up to $27.99. 
    *Free Selected E-book and Audio Book
    *Wisdom Link (This is what the White House speech writers use and is sold at universities for $49.95.)  It contains 100,000 source documents and 4,000 e-books.
    *Tax Training--get all the tax breaks a business is entitled to (I`ve found that just this knowledge saves me over the $39.95/month membership fee.)
    *Wealth Training--from self made millionaires like Robert G. Allen and Richard Paul Evans
    *Business Training from some of the very best.  Check out the leadership of BookWise!
    *Speed Reading lessons
    *Residual income
    *Website where BookWise does all the work and gives you 40% of the profits.  (They do the maintenance, orders, shipping, any returns, customer service, etc.)
    *Much more still being added (Do you want to be published?)

As you can see, the value is much greater than the small monthly fee.  Any one of these features is worth more than $39.95.  I feel very fortunate as this company is small, but growing quickly. 
    I haven`t been so excited about the future as I am with this company.   You really need to look into this because if you wait for 5 years, you will kick yourself for not getting involved sooner.  If it`s not for you, then that`s okay--it`s not for everybody.  But the people that are in BookWise are doing well and creating a better world too.

Imagine you getting some of your textbooks as your item of the month.(There may be a small charge if they cost more than $27.99 and not all textbooks are on there as some professors like to make up their own and charge an arm and a leg and no other college will use them.)  Have you college friends buy from your website.  Everybody buys books, CDs, DVDs, or Video Games.   Why not ask them to buy from your site.

A brief video can be seen, but needs to be updated as so much more was added about 3 months ago, but it`s still really good, just realize that the price was raised to $39.95 and more features were added.  Write down the pass key: 106483   
    Go to  www.WinningInTheMargins.com
    LiveWise1/12/2008 5:24 PM
  • DBeaversDBeavers subscriber Posts: 0
    Chris,
    If I read their post correctly, every job KJC listed was B2B or business-to-business selling. I have to agree.  I`d much rather be selling regularly in volume to a number of customers that I see repeatedly over the long-haul, rather than primarily selling retail to a much larger number of buyers.
    I prefer the "relationship" style of selling, as it suits both my products and my personality.  I started my business from home over 20 years ago, and have a large number of clients who have been ordering from me for 15 to 23 years.  The life-time value of a customer`s business can be huge if you have the prospects of selling to them again and again over a lifetime.
    My field in promotional advertising, all those t-shirts, ink pens, coffee mugs, business gifts, golf balls and accessories, calendars and countless gadgets for use in home or office, that keep a business`s name/logo in from of the buyers and prospects for an extended period of time.  So, once a customer has bought and is satisfied with their merchandise and the process, I can expect to receive additional orders from them.
    It doesn`t matter whether you choose to sell industrial paint, medical equipment, promotional advertising, mechanical tools, or sheet metal - B2B sales can provide you a career for life.  And if you choose selectively, you can do it self-employed and never have to worry about office politics, pink slips, bad bosses, mandatory retirement, juggling work vs. family priorities, etc.
    Just my opinion,
    DennisDBeavers1/13/2008 5:21 AM
  • DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141
    What are the best sales jobs today?

Chris, I was in sales for over 10 years. I sold everything from vacuum cleaners to yellow pages advertising, and I can tell you with absolute certainty, there is no "best" sales job. A job - any job is what you make of it. Every successful salesperson in any industry will tell you that they have the best job in the world. It`s all a matter of personal preference and application.

However, if I were you, I`d select an industry where I could work indoors and the customers came to me, such as department stores, furniture stores, electronic stores, etc. Door to door sales is tough. I did it successfully for many years, bit it`s brutal. If possible, try to get a job that ties in with your personal interests. But again, it all boils down to personal preference.

One last thing, if you`re going to get into sales, take it seriously. Learn everything you can about sales and sales pyschology. It`s an education that will pay you dividends for the rest of your life. Trust me on this. I continue to use my sales background in my business every single day. In that regard, I highly recommend that you read the following books:

1. "Compelling Selling" by Philip R. Lund

2. "The Closers" by Jim Pickens and Ben Gay

3.  "How to Master the Art of Selling" by Tom Hopkins

4. "Secrets of Closing the Sale" by Zig Ziglar

5.  "The Psychology of Selling" by Brian Tracy

Dale King
    DKing1/13/2008 8:59 AM
  • GetAGripGetAGrip subscriber Posts: 14
    Snake Oil is for sure your best bet!
  • tds2ntds2n subscriber Posts: 1
    If you`re in college, make sure sales is the route you want to go, and not something you have to settle for. Fact is, the majority of marketing and business grads will end up in sales positions, these are really just over saturated, generic degrees. If you really want to make consistent money and have the ability, consider degrees that will give you good money out of the gate.

Medical and Engineering, which are your more typical areas. Also, there are other `diamonds in the rough` I went to a school that pioneered a concrete degree; they had a job demand of 200 positions with only 60 graduates. Most of the grads I know say it`s hard work, but they start off with a minimum of 50k and usually get company vehicles, that`s just bottom-entry level. Sorry for the tangent, but if you aren`t too deep within your major, just make sure sales is a career route you really feel is best for you.

I graduated two years ago with a double in Advertising and PR. I opted for a sales job at a company that I heard was paying very well. As soon as I hit the sales floor, I excelled and hit a nice pay check. I continued to do well and consistantly remained within the top five of the company, well above hundreds of other reps. Now, I`m so burnt out I can`t even stand showing up in the morning.

It`s as if I`m having the exact same conversation over, and over, and over, and over... etc. Also, as soon as I find a way to successfully exceed my quota/metrics they raise them. Maybe some of you more seasoned sales-people can tell me. Is it common for companies to raise your base pay when they promote you, while setting unrealistic quotas? I think I`m working for a company that`s becoming increasingly cheap and shady. I`m looking for a way out, but don`t know if I`d go back to sales or not..

Anyway, I guess I`m slightly jaded, point is: just make sure you`re making the right move, you can make good money in sales, however, "money isn`t everything".
    tds2n9/2/2008 2:19 AM
  • iyazamiyazam subscriber Posts: 33
    I think selling recognition products to companies is a big thing.
    When I say recognition products I mean - plaques and other related products such as:

Stickers - to put on company envelopes or boxes, stickers that say for example: "Top 100 Companies In New York.."  

Custom prints - for trade shows

The list goes on......

Follow your local newspapers and magazines and search for recognitions: top companies, top employee of the month, top real estate agents.....its endless!

For product ideas check out http://www.awards.com/ 

• SheaalyseSheaalyse subscriber Posts: 0
    Hi Chris,
    I have been in sales for 17 years; in multiple industries, and have always risen to the top.  However, what I`ve found is that in each sales job, although I made a lot of money, the only way I could continue making that money would be by continuing to work!  As I thought about this, I learned about residual income, and realized that building a stream of passive, residual income was the only way to REALLY enjoy retirement!  As a result, I did alot of research on companies offering this type of income opportunity, and came across one that aligned with exactly what I was looking for.
    Robert Kiyosaki (author of Rich Dad Poor Dad) teaches that there are 3 key ingredients to a successful income opportunity:
    1.)  Timing!  (Just imagine if you had been on the front-end of Microsoft, Dell, Apple, Excel Communications, etc....)  The people who caught he vision, and got involved with these companies during the infancy stages, are millionaires today.
    2.)  Product!  The product must NOT be discretionary, but necessary.  In other words, it must be something that people truly need, and will continue to pay for as a result of that need.
    3.)  Compensation Plan!  Any company can get distributors to sell their products; but how many of those distributors will become multi 6 figure and 7 figure earners?  The compensation plan is key to growing a truly successful organization; in which individuals getting involved and working the business can realistically win on every level.Chris, I admire your tenacity, and hunger; and and am looking for individuals like your self to join my organization. The company I am apart of has each and every one of the characteristics I mentioned above. 
    Below, I have included 3 initial steps you must take to find out more about this opportunity.  Once you have completed these 3 steps, you may contact me directly on:
    sheaalyse@gmail.com
    My organization is growing quickly, and we are the fastest growing team in the company due to the tools we give to each and everyone of our team members to ensure their success. 
    We are apart of a $574 Billion dollar industry; and THIS
    IS the biggest thing since telecommunications deregulation, and we`re on the
    FRONT-END of it!
    A.) We are the FASTEST growing team within this
    company!!!
    B.) We provide ALL of the tools for you to successfully
    market on the Internet...AND they`re FREE!!! We provide a step-by-step system to
    help you get TONS of Internet Traffic to your websites.... LITERALLY COMPLETELY
    TURN KEY!!!!
    C.) Our founder COMPLETELY WALKED AWAY from a $1.3 MILLION
    DOLLAR annual income with another company because of his vision to start this
    company, and because of all of the lives he knew would forever be changed!!!

For additional information:STEP 1: Listen to this 3
    minute Information Call (646) 222-0013. STEP 2:  Listen to the CEO
    of MXENERGY (MX Energy is the company we market energy for.)http://www.byoa STEP 3: 
    Business Online Video Presentationhttp://zurvitaw As you view/listen to the information above, write down
    any questions you may have as you go along, and I’ll be happy to answer them for
    you once we speak.Warmest Regards,Shea
  • Fr3shjiveFr3shjive subscriber Posts: 0
    How can you tell the difference between a legit sales job and some MLM bull sh!t?

I've been doing collections for over 5 years now and want to move in to an industry where Im paid more based off of performance. I was consistantly a top collector but now Im looking for something that is performance paid and I know in sales they'll definitely pay you for your performance.

Do you guys have any suggestions on where I might look for an entry level sales position? Im in southern California and looking for some real sales work.
  • chrisganderchrisgander subscriber Posts: 0
    Some great thoughts are shared... i personally believe that it totally depends upon your choice and expertise.
  • galewinters11galewinters11 subscriber Posts: 1
    A lot of people opt to sell medicine to doctors (med reps), while others sell home appliances or electronics. However, if you are looking to improve your skills as a sales agent, I suggest that you try your hand at selling insurance. As we all know, insurance is one of the hardest services to sell because of its bad rep, but if you can develop the skills needed to sell insurance, I'm sure you will succeed in being a great salesman.

Long Term Care Insurance Alabama
  • CeceMHillCeceMHill subscriber Posts: 3
    I used to think that real estate sales were the place to be but now I think that pharmaceutical sales are much more lucrative. Once I'm done selling a few atlanta real estate units, I will probably switch to the pharmaceutical industry.
  • AdvicefromRickyAdvicefromRicky subscriber Posts: 1
    If I had to return to any of my old jobs it probably would be working as an estate agent, this was before the recession and I made a fortune. Unfortunately we all know how this story ended.
  • jasonburtonjasonburton subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    Engage in contruction and building firm, or startup a new small business about furnitre or specifically a door store just like the site http://caldwells.com/interior-doors/glass-doors .
  • GavinGavin subscriber Posts: 0
    I agree that book "How to Master the Art of Selling" is very good.