WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Looking to build site/look on shoe-string

New to the forum, hope this is in the right category.
I am looking to build a simple site for RandomKindActs.com.  As the name suggests, I want to track random kind acts from around the world from the perspective of the one doing, the one receiving or a witness.  Simple, fun and maybe inspiring. 
I need to build a site of several pages.  My vision is a home page, a form page (a "tell us your story" sort) to capture the random kind act and save it to a DB, and a page to list some recent entries as well as to retrieve other entries by several keys into the DB (i.e. country, state, do-er or receiver, etc.).  Oh yeah, and a privacy page and contact us page.  The site would be relatively simple, load quickly and intuitive to navigate.
I host on GoDaddy (not sure if that makes a diff) and I`m looking for someone to help me: create a logo (or look), and create the site.  Did I mention my budget?  I have $400 to work with.  Any thoughts/ideas on how to get this done on a shoe-string?  I look forward to your feedback, thanks.

Comments

• Wirehead321Wirehead321 subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    I like your idea of Randomkindacts.com
    I am sure you already have secured your domain name. if not that`s the first thing you have to do. Next you will need a website developer. You could DIY with the help of several online sites. That would charge you a monthy fee, but They would have tools that could help design a professional site. As for your budget $400 is not going to get you far most fees are about $30 to $50 per month about $500 min per year, plus your hosting cost. I would look to increase your budget. Still if you want to do this you can visit one of our website that has DIY features at www.technocrats.bravepages.com</A> Take a look then think over how you like your site to look. I will give some of my ideas.

• klafranceklafrance subscriber Posts: 1
    Hi - great idea! Wondering why it`s not a .org? As a non-profit? Does your budget exclude all of the charges that you have or are going to pay to GoDaddy for hosting, etc? I would be happy to help you with the website set-up for a flat fee of $250 for a 3-page site (including basic logo design). I can also advise you on other ways to "get this done" - i.e. blogs, etc. Please contact me to discuss.
    Thanks!
    Kateklafrance2007-8-30 12:27:8
  • IgotIssuesIgotIssues subscriber Posts: 1
    Thank you all.  Just to answer a few of your questions:
    * I already own the domain name.* Chose .com intentionally and may `point` .org to .com, or vice versa* My budget does not include the monthly/annual hosting fee.* I considered TypePad (where I host my other site, IgotIssues.com) but didn`t want a blog entry -- I prefer to use a form and store the record to a data base
    I can see the site (or at least what would work!) in my mind.  I want to get it up and running and I have friends in other parts of the world, where once I know the site is ready, I have a gorilla marketing plan to get some attention.  Not sure if there is any opportunity to make money, I`ll explore that in a later forum entry!  Thanks again.
  • klafranceklafrance subscriber Posts: 1
    Looking forward to working with you on this wonderful idea!
  • Doc11Doc11 subscriber Posts: 0

Hello,
     One of the most EZ ways to achieve your goals to to use < jugglenow.com >, will all out agree.
     So, check it out & see if it exceeds your expectational objectives.
      "Take Care"
      The Aero Enterprise Group
     Send comments to < mrdoc11@gmail.com</A> >Doc112007-8-31 23:18:57
  • JERRYMACJERRYMAC subscriber Posts: 0
    Don`t know if this is the place to ask, I am also new to these forums, but I went to sitesell and am very impressed.  Has anyone used this site?  If so, can you tell me if I am correct in assuming that the $299 per yr is for creating, hosting, the whole works and that you just renew each year?
  • Fred333Fred333 subscriber Posts: 0
    That sounds like a great idea for a site. With the budget that you stated I am sure you can find a freelancer to do some nice work for you.