WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Hidden text question

JDawgJDawg subscriber Posts: 4
In order to aide in SEO, a potential client said he wrote a string of keywords in white to hide in the background of his web site. It isn`t visible unless you read the code (or highlight the area). I told him that he could get black listed for that. I heard that about 3 years ago, is that still the case today?
Thanks in advance

Comments

• swguyswguy subscriber Posts: 1
    This is a violation of the Google TOS.  Yes you will get blacklisted. http://www.google.com/support/webmaster ... r.py?answe r=35769What your client is doing is called "cloaking" and is specifically prohibited.Scott
  • ChuckChuck subscriber Posts: 6
    It`s a bad idea - you can check with the source, Matt Cutts from Google has written about this several times on his blog, here`s one example:http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/seo-mista ... cking-your
  • vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    Absolutely, that hiding words trick is a "black hat" SEO practice that can get a site banned or penalized.
    You may "get away with it" for a while, but anyone can "report" your site... bring it to the attention of the search engine.
    Steve - true, for your flash site it is important to incorporate "searchable" text and keywords. Eventhough you may argue the text is not totally hidden... is it worth the risk? 
    The words you have are not links or H1 tagged or bold....which would give them greater weight in SEO.
    My suggestion is to change that text to "real" SEO text and links that will add value for your search results. Also, add a meta description - which is still read by some search engines.
    ~Rolandvwebworld2007-5-2 9:53:4
  • swguyswguy subscriber Posts: 1
    My suggestion is to change that text to "real" SEO
    text and links that will add value for your search results.

Indeed, adding actual original content that the site`s viewers will
    benefit from is the real secret to success.  Over time, investing
    in adding content to the site will improve your search engine ranking.

Good luck,
    Scott
  • JDawgJDawg subscriber Posts: 4
    Good stuff, guys!! I am very appreciative of this information and will forward the links to my clients!
    vwebworld: when creating links in your conent, is it`s purpose to transfer the user to another page on your web site (like a glossary page?) or to another site like a dictionary or supporting agency of the industry?
  • vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    vwebworld: when creating links in your conent, is it`s purpose to transfer the user to another page on your web site (like a glossary page?) or to another site like a dictionary or supporting agency of the industry?
    Having links to other pages of your site is important... using text based keywords is helpful...... for SEO. It is always a good idea to have a "site map" which is a list of all the pages (with links to those pages) of your site. This not only helps the viewer navigate your site, but also helps search engine bots find and index all the pages of your site.
    Having links to other sites/resources (not part of your site) can be useful as a "customer service"... and can bring people back to your site as a resource for information. Such links do not necessarily help your site`s SEO.
    ~Rolandvwebworld2007-5-2 10:45:49
  • JDawgJDawg subscriber Posts: 4
    Thank you, vwebworld. I have the keywords in my content, so my line of thinking is to create a page of glossary terms to link the keywords to. This is very common pratcie in our industry to have a glossary.
    And yes, I need to amke my site map AND add my alt tags. I updated my site a few weeks ago, then was out of town, and well, client`s come first too, right?!
    Thanks for your input. I`ll let you guys know if my client says anything on those Google guidelines, especially since he PPC with them! Oops!