WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Sweat Equity in a LLC

MattHaasMattHaas subscriber Posts: 2
edited October 2006 in Startup Funding
I am starting a partnership with a total of four people.  We will be creating a LLC with the intention of investing in Residential Real Estate.  Two of the partners will be contributing the money and two of the partners will be doing all the work.  I will be one of the people putting in the work and I want to know how to value my "sweat equity".  I would never get into this arrangement unless each partner owned exactly 25% of the LLC, or at least had the potential to own 25% within the next couple of years.    How do I go from a situation where I`ve put no money into the LLC to owning 25% of it?
I will not need of the income the LLC is brining in, so my share of the earnings will be reinvested.  Will that reinvestment be growing the total value of the LLC or will it just be paying off the partners who put in money.  
As far as dollar figures go.  We will be starting with around $100,000.  So is it as simple as waiting until my share has earned $25k, and then I`m completely vested, or does it get more complicated than that?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• robertjrobertj subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    These are things that can be handled in the formation and partnership documents.
    If you contact me directly, we can help you with your specific needs.
    Robert Johnson
    robert@bizgrowthmasters.com</A>

• MattHaasMattHaas subscriber Posts: 2
    Thanks for your reply.  I have a better understanding of how it works, and will help when I start negotiations.
  • williamwilliam subscriber Posts: 2
    Thanks for your reply.  I have a better understanding of how it works, and will help when I start negotiations.He`s probably not quite there just yet.
  • williamwilliam subscriber Posts: 2
    I am starting a partnership with a total of four people.  We will be creating a LLC with the intention of investing in Residential Real Estate.  Two of the partners will be contributing the money and two of the partners will be doing all the work.  I will be one of the people putting in the work and I want to know how to value my "sweat equity".  I would never get into this arrangement unless each partner owned exactly 25% of the LLC, or at least had the potential to own 25% within the next couple of years.    How do I go from a situation where I`ve put no money into the LLC to owning 25% of it?
    I will not need of the income the LLC is brining in, so my share of the earnings will be reinvested.  Will that reinvestment be growing the total value of the LLC or will it just be paying off the partners who put in money.  
    As far as dollar figures go.  We will be starting with around $100,000.  So is it as simple as waiting until my share has earned $25k, and then I`m completely vested, or does it get more complicated than that?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!Two options if you go it alone:1. Go to your Secretary of State pronto and obtain the necessary documentation and instructions.  Most SOS state sites walk you through the entire process without the need of assistance, independent agent, nor a lawyer.2. Make sure you are clear on an LLC.  As a partner firm you`ll need to check into an LLP (limited liability partnership).You need to draft the company by-laws clearly stating each partner`s role and ownership.  There are many examples on the Internet to education yourself before going and dumping too much moola into it.  Take your time and be tight about it.
  • robertjrobertj subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    Matt:
    A couple of quick points.
    1. LLC`s don`t have by-laws. They use an "operating agreement".
    2. If the LLC makes a profit duing any year, each member (owner) may be have a tax liability because an LLC is a pass through structure.This liability will exist whether the company makes any distributions or not.
    Finally, given the complexity of your structure - you would be wise to seek expert advice.
    Robert Johnson