WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Registering Domain Names

kjohrikjohri subscriber Posts: 10
I have heard of godaddy.com and register.com - Can someone let me know of any other alternatives that people may have used and are happy with the services?
I was searching for a domain name and .com was taken. However, .net cost $10 at godaddy.com and $35 at register.com
Why is there a difference?
What should I look into when looking for a domain name registrar? What questions should I be asking?
Thanks,
KJ

Comments

• vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    The 1&1 link is: http://order.1and1.com/

I sell domains too (at GoDaddy prices).

The price difference is just because   (more profit for someone)

Just be sure your pricing is not tied to something you do not want, like a hosting account or something else. For example you might get a domain for $5 but you need to sign-up for hosting at $xx/ month.

Also, check to see what the cost is for the second, 3rd, 4th, etc year.  Remember, it is beneficial to have your domain registered for more than one year.

~Roland
    vwebworld7/19/2008 7:00 PM
  • kjohrikjohri subscriber Posts: 10
    Thanks Roland!
    So do you provide hosting as well apart from selling domains from the link you provided?
    Thanks Roland!
    So do you provide hosting as well apart from selling domains from the link you provided?

Yes, I do provide hosting separate from domain names.

For domains I`m an affiliate of GoDaddy so the link for domains (in my prior post), does show hosting too...but that`s GoDaddy hosting.

I recommend my web hosting rather than GoDaddy`s hosting.

~Roland
  • VideographyVideography subscriber Posts: 401 Silver Level Member
    I have over 50 domains registered through GoDaddy, and I have been 110% pleased with their customer service.Different registrars charge whatever they think they can.  Do not go registrar shopping for your selected domain for two reasons - they ALL use the same database, so if one registrar doesn`t have the name you want, none of them will.  Second, some registrars are downright dishonest.  When someone looks for a domain name through them, they say it isn`t available (even if it is), but that is will expire soon and they will, for a fee, watch for it to become available.  Go with one that is trusted.
    GoDaddy (or it`s affiliates) is fine for domain names - no problems.

Some people have had problems with GoDaddy`s hosting.

~Roland

GoDaddy (or it`s affiliates) is fine for domain names - no problems.

Some people have had problems with GoDaddy`s hosting.

~Roland
    I`ve heard this before, but what kind of problems have people had?  I have four sites hosted on GoDaddy (shared hosting) and I`ve never had a problem that wasn`t of my own making.  And GoDaddy support has always been able to get me back on track with fast and accurate response.  Usually less than an hour by e-mail.  The only time I have ever needed to talk to them on the phone was with a domain forwarding issue, and they spent a good 30-minutes with me on the phone trying to get to the root of the problem.  The support guy promised a callback when they figured out what was going on.  Less than an hour later, the customer service guy called me back to report what he had found.  And as per the pattern, it was a problem of my own creation.
    People have reported (on various forums) issues with GoDaddy`s support (although that is now better), hosting / upgrading wordpress, and GoDaddy`s all-in-one website product.

Maybe it was their own creation too

~Roland
  • kjohrikjohri subscriber Posts: 10
    Thanks everyone for the response.
    Also, if you host multiple sites, get the deluxe hosting.  You can host multiple sites from the same account.  Don`t get tricked into paying for a separate hosting account for each website.  Instead each site will go into its own folder and the domain will be pointed to the folder. 

Regards,
    Charlie
    I can see why people would think that they need to host every domain name on GoDaddy, because immediately after registering, they are steered into the hosting options.  As soon as you send payment for the domain registration, just ignore all the pitches for hosting and add-ons until later.  In fact, log off and close the browser.  You will receive an email later that tells you that your registration is complete, then they go into the pitch for add-on services and hosting.  Plus a discount code for your next "purchase" at GoDaddy.  Now, go to GoDaddy and buy a one-year (or longer if you want) deluxe hosting account, using the discount code in your e-mail.  Hint, it`s always the same discount code, so you can keep reusing it.
  • gsamadgsamad subscriber Posts: 2 Member
    I highly recommend having a separate domain name registrar and web host.  The reason is that if you have any problem with your web hosting, you can quickly change to another hosting service and just redirect using your registrar.
    Case in point: I started my business 5 years ago and registered my domain name at RegisterCheaper.com (related to GoDaddy) and set up my hosting service at iPowerWeb.  After 6 months iPowerWeb (now called iPower, I think) became extremely unreliable for several weeks.  My business could not automatically process credit cards for two weeks!  Their technical support was terrible.
    I finally set up a new hosting account at Lunarpages.com, copied over my entire website, and pointed my domain to the new host, and overnight my website became reliable again.  After verifying that things continued to work well for a week or two, I cancelled my old hosting service and all was a-ok.
    If my domain name had been included as part of the hosting package, it would have been extremely difficult to change hosting services.
    I highly recommend the hosting service Lunarpages.com - it is cheap, reliable, and I have trusted my online business to them for 4 years now and have been extremely happy.  For domain name registration only, RegisterCheaper.com has been good and I use GoDaddy as well.
    Note: I have no relationship to these companies and won`t make any money if you choose them - I am just a satisfied customer!
      Sincerely,
      Gary Samad
      ContinuingEdCourses.Net, Inc.

If my domain name had been included as part of the hosting package, it would have been extremely difficult to change hosting services.There is no reason to keep them separate if you are the administrative contact in the "whois" database *and* you can control the A, MX and host IP in your registration data.  Many registrars don`t give you this much access.  Theoretically, if you don`t know what you are doing, you can really screw up your site and email.At GoDaddy, I own my domains and I can go to the admin panel and change my own MX and A records and point to any host IP that I want.  I have a few sites on GoDaddy and a few on other hosts, but all domains are registered through GoDaddy.  Never a problem.If I wanted the ultimate in control, I would rent a dedicated server at the farm and gain root access.
  • DanielAuitoDanielAuito subscriber Posts: 0
    Godaddy has 24/7 real live person support and cannot be beat for buying domain names, when you type in "Danica" you`ll even get a 10% discount which makes each domain (.com) about $8 bucks!
    Once you own your domain name, you can easily transfer it to any host you like, personal hosting services are better than the monster sites when you want help or need something fast.

We host people, build websites and do SEO and we always recommend that folks use www.godaddy.com to own their own domains.

Dan

www.MaximumHits.com

DanielAuito7/25/2008 9:20 PM
  • sujith34sujith34 subscriber Posts: 0
    Hi i got my domain registration with Whoisxy.com and im satisfied with my provider..the service provided by them is both reliable and affordable..