WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

How Do You Change Your LLC Name?

grrldudagrrlduda subscriber Posts: 4
edited September 2008 in Selecting a Business
What steps does it take to change the name of an LLC? What else happens after you change your LLC name? How does that change effect day-to-day business?
Once the LLC Name is change, I guess you have to update:
the bank (your account, checkbooks)
the credit card companies
any vendors that send you invoices
any clients that owe you money
what else???
Thanks for your advice.

Comments

• Options
    DeenaEsqDeenaEsq subscriber Posts: 0
    Generally, you just have to contact the Department of State (or Department of Corporations) in the state where your LLC is registered and fill out the forms to change the name.  There`s also usually a nominal fee. 

In addition to the bank, CC companies, Vendors and clients, you need to notify the IRS that your name has changed.  You also need to notify any states in which you`re registered to do business.  If you`re licensed or registered with your local government, you have to let them know about the name change as well.

You may just want to consider filing a DBA for your LLC.  That allows you to change the name commercially without having to change everything else. 

If you have other questions, please let me know.

Deena

Any opinions are offered without knowledge of the specific law of your jurisdiction and with only the limited information provided in your post.  No advice given here should be reasonably relied upon by you or any third party without consulting an attorney who is aware of all of the facts and law surrounding your situation.  Any advice given here is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship in any way.
  • Options
    grrldudagrrlduda subscriber Posts: 4
    Thank you Deena,
    I have done the DBA and my bank accepts checks for both my LLC and DBA names. I was wondering how much `work` it was to make the name official. Sounds like a big headache and not really necessary if I have the DBA then.
  • Options
    DeenaEsqDeenaEsq subscriber Posts: 0
    The DBA is official.  It`s not necessary to change your LLC name... 

Deena
  • Options
    infinique1infinique1 subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    It's not necessary for you to change your business name unless it's totally crucial. You will have a whole lot of other changes to do when you do that, which includes changing your bank details.